Peaceable Secession

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 4, 2013.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm with tenny on this one. I enjoy ben's posts, and he's actually brought up some good points in this thread.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Double wow, but each to his own. Fortunately, despite the claims of tyranny by some, we live in a country that allows dissenting views.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ov - will all carbonated beverages be called Cokes in your regime?

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not talking about the tyranny stuff. I thought he'd stayed clear of that talk here. I was just talking about the legality of secession. Tyranny talk is a bit entertaining, but that's as far as I'll go.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's fitting that you don't think I'm debating when I make specific references to the Constitution as a rejection for your position, but do think I'm debating when I start pulling random quotes out of my ass that have little to no relevance on the legality of secession. Style over substance. Hell, I even know that New York and Virginia have it in their state constitutions that they can leave the U.S. if they want. It doesn't matter. Unless you can somehow figure out how to maneuver around Article 1, Clause 10 of the Constitution, then all your bluster about how much smarter and well informed you are on the subject rings hollow, especially since you don't, in reality.

Oh, and Washington's Federalists in no way "lost" the ratification process.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Truth.

He hung in there against IP, OE, and Jay, and while I wouldn't say he won over many hearts and minds, he at least held to what he seems to believe, and didn't tire of defending it.

That's always welcome, from any direction or bent it may arise, IMO.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't seem to figure out how people get around the statement "No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation" that all states agreed upon entering the union.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yes.

Pork, Beef, and Chicken are considered food groups as well.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Saw this, and really liked and appreciated it:

[​IMG]

10. JayVols

Fair enough. I'll just ask if you believe the Supreme Court has the final authority to determine Constitutionality/legality on issues? I'm not saying you have to agree, only if they have that authority or not. If you do, there's no ambiguity on the matter.

All I'll say is to beware anyone that claims to be in a vast minority of people who have special insight on anything or a unique gift of comprehension.

11. JayVols

I'm no great thinker/arguer.

I guess the value individuals place on the "evidence" presented in an argument determines much. In this case, one must determine whether The Constitution and Supreme Court rulings that have the force of law behind them are inferior to cherry-picked quotes that have no legal authority. As I said earlier, each to his own. I don't necessarily see hanging on to one's beliefs as always being noble. It can be, but not always. I look forward to our first faith over medicine and/or Flat Earther poster to see if the same standards apply.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Do they call them something else?

13. JayVols

OV, you are truly The Man!

14. Beechervol

My bad. I didn't brief you on the sooooooda thread.

Thats outside our jurisdiction anyhow.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

So will ice cream, candy, and I will reinstate the BIG GULP!

16. JayVols

I would vote against any Democrat for you. Lead us to The Promised Land.....

17. Beechervol

[​IMG]

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Although I am roughly 1000X less likely to secede that Ben,I agreed with him in this thread. States should have that right. We seceded from the crown.

19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Could you point them out?

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

What legality?

The constitution forbids that much power to a singular state to change the course of the country.