Peaceable Secession

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I am very much curious about and intrigued by the whole subject of succession, both those attempts in the past, and others which may some day be attempted. While South Carolina may do whatever it is they want to do, or not, could someone help me to better understand the issue by answering these questions:

1. Despite however unviable of a proposition as it may prove to be, does a state have a legal right to petition for and receive a peaceable succession from the Union? If not, then what rule of law prohibits it?

2. Should states be allowed to peaceably succeed from the Union, in absence of either any specific prohibition or means of doing so?

3. How might the process - or even the attempts - at a peaceable succession differ than that which was attempted in 1860, in general? How might be the re/action of the rest of the world as to their petition, now, as opposed to during the Civil War?

4. In your opinion, how might the SCOTUS rule on such a case for peaceable succession, if placed before them? And suppose they ruled that it was well within the state's rights to do so, how might you expect the Federal government to respond to such a ruling (i.e. would they allow it, would they ignore the court and prohibit it, etc.)?

5. If some states were to try to succeed from the Union, how many - and which ones - do you believe would be counted amongst them?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If I may, I'll add another question:

6. Should secession be legal, does the federal gov't have the right to remove their property, assets, etc from said state (s)?

3. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Yes

4. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Judge Judy would help divvy it up.

5. JayVols

She's fiesty.

Wait, jurisdiction.....

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Secession or succession?

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

How exactly will the feds get their stuff back?

Ill hang up and listen.

8. JayVols

Secession.

9. JayVols

Therein lies the perverbial rub.....

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Doesn't Texas have he right in their constitution?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Damn I hoped this was a memo that we are banning all zoners.

12. OrangeEmpire

A claim to any thing with federal dollars?

What does a state gain by leaving?

The confederacy is a great model for the epic failure of having a weak central govt.

13. OrangeEmpire

No, it is a myth.

Check the opinion by Salmon P Chase and Texas v White.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fixed the title

15. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I don't see a need to petition. It would be like asking your kidnapper if they would release you. What is ironic, when Jefferson was President there was a threat by New England to secede from the Union (see below). It wasn't those dumbass uneducated rednecks from the south.
    Can you really have peace and freedom when you are forced to do something against your will?

I don't see the world or the remaining states standing idly by why the federal government kills innocent people in the seceded states like they did in the past.

The SCOTUS is basically a rubber stamp for its' own power. Any ruling they might have would be viewed to have no merit.

I think you could see 20% secede.

16. OrangeEmpire

The feds are kidnapping states?

17. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

It's kind of like a nasty divorce when one side has money and a great lawyer and the other side is broke and represents himself. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong just who has the bigger stick to fight with. The only way it's peaceable is if the one with all the money decides to not contest it.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Most likely to secede (pun intended): Texas, South Carolina, Mississippi, West Virginia

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This whole thread is about that what-if scenario, right?

20. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Are states free to leave?