Official Grizzlies Bandwagon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, May 4, 2013.

1. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Is that good or bad? From the outside looking in, and as someone who doesn't really follow the Grizzlies, it looks like they ran off a guy that led the team to its best season ever just to replace him with his assistant who will bend to the will of management. That looks bad.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd say that's accurate

3. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

There were a couple moments in the Dave Joerger press conference where Jason Levien just hijacks the mic. So yeah, I can kind of see that now.

4. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Well, I don't think we filled any needs in the draft. Franklin is a streaky (at best) shooter but athletic. Tony Allen, anyone?

6. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I think it's all about value. Taking Franklin with the 20th pick is a stretch. Taking a guy who's a jumpshot away from being a poor man's Kawhi Leonard with the 41st pick ain't too bad. He may never work out, but it's hard to get anything out of the 2nd round. It did seem to fly in the face of the "metrics" though, considering he's one of the least efficient scorers in the draft and a turnover machine. Just work on that corner 3, baby.

My favorite part of the night is the trade. We basically got rid of two pieces that gave us little value and got a quality backup for Gasol. That makes me happy.

7. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Also, they didn't succumb to the BS pressure to draft a Tiger in the late 2nd round either. Even though no reasonable Grizz/Tiger fan expected that.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This guy was still available and worth a flyer as a 2nd round pick.

9. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Yeah I get that. Scoring should be a priority. I guess they just fell in love with Franklin's intangibles/effort/defense.

Will be curious to see if either player contributes his year.

I'm still drooling over our bigs after last night. With Bayless opting in and TA resigning here shortly (hopefully), this off season might be a signing away from being over.

10. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

This was a pretty good draft for having only three second round picks. I'm glad they didn't trade up because the draft class was weak. Now we have a guy that could be a great NBA role player and a European still developing in Europe for a couple of years. Dealing DA and his myriad of injuries for a proven big man is a huge get. Now Randolph and Gasoline can get some legitimate rest during the season and have a guy that can get it done.

I think they move Tayshaun and resign TA and Leuer. They'll go after a shooter but how much they spend is hinging on dealing TP.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bay less opted in because he wisely realized nobody else in the league would pay him more than the veteran's minimum. Not sure how being stuck with a guy everyone else realizes can't play is a positive.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Meh Bayless is a good backup. Don't think he's worth that much money, but there aren't many other options.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If he was a good backup, someone would pay him as such.

14. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Wasn't talking about it in a positive light, just saying it probably limits our options.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He did enough to help the grizzlies get past the thunder. I'm ok with the grizz keeping him

16. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

He's a decent piece to have, but if we go into next season with he and Q-Pon as our best shooters, I'll have a problem with that.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I love Grizzly.

I prefer the long-cut straight.

18. jjacks6790

jjacks6790 Member

According to this since Bayless shoots so much it makes him look better in Hollinger's system than he is..

"Hollinger argues that each two point field goal made is worth about 1.65 points. A three point field goal made is worth 2.65 points. A missed field goal, though, costs a team 0.72 points. Given these values, with a bit of math we can show that a player will break even on his two point field goal attempts if he hits on 30.4% of these shots. On three pointers the break-even point is 21.4%. If a player exceeds these thresholds, and virtually every NBA player does so with respect to two-point shots, the more he shoots the higher his value in PERs. So a player can be an inefficient scorer and simply inflate his value by taking a large number of shots."

19. jjacks6790

jjacks6790 Member

I generally agree with your points, I just don't know that much about Levien to understand why he would (intentionally or not) run the Memphis franchise into the ground. Was Philadelphia's recent ineptness his doing?

As for Hollinger on the other hand I completely agree with your jocksniffer label... I bet they let go of Allen, since according to Hollinger's PER this was his worst year since 2008. Additionally I wouldn't be shocked if Randolph was traded with his PER at its lowest since 2006.
    I'm also not okay with adding Koufos (PER rating of 17.22 - obviously Hollinger's play), a non perimeter threat from a Nuggets team more than ready to part ways with him.
    Not to mention the rumors of pursuing Greg Oden who hasn't played ball in 3.5 years, and drafting a very inconsistent shooter in Franklin (27% from three).

Hence, so far the moves they've made are disappointing. So if what Hat says is true I'm disappointed the only team I root for with any promise is about to fall flat on its face.

20. jjacks6790

jjacks6790 Member

There's other options that don't take as many ill-advised shots as him. Getting rid of Gay was a good thing because he was the same way.