Richard Huffman's Musings - Austin Peay edition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's concerning that Worley couldn't hit the simple throws on time. I assumed he could throw a step slant on time. There was, however, nothing to gain by throwing one of the true freshmen out there because apsu was that bad.

Butch doesn't want the average fan pining for a guy he doesn't feel needs to be out there.

The players like Worley right now, there's no reason to start a true freshman in Eugene or Gainesville

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And tenny, a forth tier bowl shows improvement, that's a necessity for holding this class together

3. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

and I think Petrino is licking his chops about now

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll agree. I have been pretty vocal about him. I'm glad he showed me up. Hope he continues to do so.

5. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I don't know why that was a bad pass TV. It wasn't close to even being touched by a db and no one could catch it except DY. If a bama db is there, who's to say he throws the ball?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I doubt either freshman will play as well as Bray did as a freshman, but Worley is looking a lot like Simms circa 2010

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Let me preface this by saying I was sitting in the opposite end zone.

That said, the pass was floated in there so softly that any fast DB in the vicinity would've had a pretty good shot at picking it off. Do I think he'd have thrown it if there were a Bama DB a step behind in coverage (that is, close enough to make a pick)? Yes. It looked like he didn't check for defenders but just threw a prayer at the first snatch of orange jersey he saw. Hard to say for sure without hearing from him, but that's sure what the body language looked like.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our receivers are not very good. They won't be three yards clear of any DB one second after the ball is snapped ever again. Ever. Worley needs to throw to the receivers, not just outside the reach of awful, awful defenders. He will never again have the luxury of throwing such bad passes with zero contest on the receiving end.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he's starting against mizzou, then he might kpt

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am watching the replay of our game. Compared to the UGA/Clemson game, our guys look like they are running in mud.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's only because UGA - Clemson was in HD

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We look slow.

13. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I realize all that but at that point on that play, it was a perfect pass. Only person that had a chance was DY and Worley got rid of it early before being hit, which is why it was a softer throw. He was being hit and falling backwards at the 19. DY was on a crossing route and was already across the face of the safety who didn't even see him come across. DY was at the 3 and the db was 3 yards deep before he saw DY come across as Worley let go. Worley lofted it up to the outside so DY could adjust and get it and there was no chance of another db getting it.
    You are referring to a hypothetical situation and all I'm saying is that it was a good play because he threw it to a perfect spot where the db had just vacated to cover the rb and the lb blitzed.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not a vfl, apparently

15. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

We are S L O W

16. JayVols

It was bad, man. There's really no defense for it. I had to pick vinyl out of my butt I drew such a tight pucker watching it. It floated forever.

17. JayVols

It's generally not a good idea to float a prayer off your back foot in the red zone. The field is so much smaller. That's picked any other game for at least a -3 point swing. Probably more.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Who is Summerhill and where did he come from?

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

A walk-on. Someplace in Alabama. He's a RS Junior, but he sure looked better than a couple of our scholarship backs.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Yes he did.