Richard Huffman's Musings - Austin Peay edition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If we are content to only throw 5-7 yard passes for the entire season and run the ball about 50 times I'd say that he's a okay option, but really, which of the other 3 couldn't do the same thing?

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If he's throwing it sideline to sideline, we're really screwed.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

5-7 yard outs and swing passes, return of the Cutcliffe offense.

4. CardinalVol

That I dunno.

We'll find out a whole lot more Saturday.

Edit -

Rethought this. One reason might be is he grasps the concept of taking what you are given more and he's not going to force it as much as the other guys would out there. I think "game manager" is near the top of Butch's requirements in a QB at this point.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If Worley is the only one that can do that, even right now, we are screwed at the QB position for the next few years.

6. MWR

MWR Contributor

Lost to Western and it may be over even sooner. :)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :p

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Tuscumbia

He looked okay, but remember the competition. I'd still rather see him slide in as the third or fourth option going forward that what else we saw.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Right. All I'm willing to say is that he looked better than Smith and Hill, not that he's actually good.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Oh, that was broke. The Little Sisters of the Blind just couldn't expose it.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

She was always ready to give Coleman his BJ.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  11. CardinalVol

In his presser Jones said a couple of those throw behind were on the receivers running the wrong depth on the routes.

12. JayVols

Sight adjustments?

13. CardinalVol

He didn't go into too much detail. He put the blame on Worley for a couple but said on a couple of others that the receiver ran the wrong depth.

That makes some sense to me, especially with the slant to North in the endzone IIRC.

14. CardinalVol

I've basically come to the conclusion that the biggest reason Worley is your QB is because we have no experience at receiver. If we had upperclassmen out there, it might be a different story. I don't think they want to bring along freshmen/sophomore receivers and a freshman QB at the same time. They'd rather use one guy who is smart, has experience, and understands everything while they are breaking these guys in.

It does make sense, to me anyway.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think this might be a big part of it.

16. JayVols

I'm sure they ran some wrong routes. If they weren't some timing routes involced, I'm even more concerned.

17. CardinalVol

My guess is they were supposed break at 3 yards and broke at 5 or vice versa.

18. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Impossible and they won't be able to work to improve the timing on that

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

There is no excuse for being that off on basic routes. You can go to any local high school and see kids misfire on those routes and never see a slant thrown behind a WR.

20. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Reminds me of the line in Major League: "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever effin' do it again." I hope one of the coaches told him that was a terrible throw.

I'm like most everyone else on here at this point. It's hard to evaluate the whole based on the opponent. However, Worley threw floaters behind his receivers that if hit in stride, could've been big plays. The receivers having to literally sit down on the ground to try and make a play is not a good thing. Call it whatever you want, but those are bad throws. The TD to Young and the deep pass to North are both picks in the SEC. Period. Worley has no zip on the ball, and that will hurt in the games to come. Finally, the second string is bad. We have no depth. There was a time, albeit long ago, that our second and third string could score at least 14-21 points on a team like APSU.

We just aren't that good anymore. Yes, the first string flexed their muscle in some ways, but I would expect them to do so. More glaring to me was the lack of output from the second and third string. I hope we play better against WKU.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013