You have to pull Worley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It's ridiculous.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yeah you figure one of them leaves anyway if they don't get the job

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If one of them leaves, we're pretty much screwed at QB. That leaves us with one (hypothetically) competent player on the roster and no reinforcements coming this season. If they're both actually SEC quarterbacks (which I suppose is nowhere near a given), Butch needs to do all he can to keep them both around.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

We could have had a senior named Tajh Boyd running this offense.

5. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

Worley is not the man. That much was obvious.

Maybe we don't have anyone better at this point. Who knows. But Worley AIN'T IT.

Of course, Iknew this 2 years ago. You can't teach arm strength.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Unlikely that he redshirts here or sticks around longer than needed for draft status with all the turmoil in Knoxville.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think he had to redshirt his first year due to a knee surgery.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That was Kiffin's reasoning for letting him go.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

(Disclaimer: I don't like him, not only do I think he lacks the physical tools, I don't believe in his mental game, either. I would be very happy to see the job taken away from him.)

That being said, if they're going to stick with him, they need to do a better job of protecting the fact that he doesn't have an adequate arm. I have yet to consistently see us utilize the passing game between the hashes or roll Worley out and give him a half field read. A good scheme can mask it well enough to make us competitive in the games we can win if it's executed well. Its almost like they have too much faith in him.

10. Vespid

Vespid Member

With Worley our offensive is handicapped from the beginning. Running the zone read option without the option makes little sense to me. This team has so far this season has displayed a porous defense, a soft offensive line in addition to piss poor quarterback play. Not happy with the defensive coordinator, having inferior teams keep moving the chains on third and long causes the hair on the back of my neck to rise. Outside of the DC, I like this staff.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Eh. Part of it is getting your system installed. This year isn't going to be super great either way, so they may not want to set back long term growth by having this offense be a shadow of the real thing.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe part of it is just proving beyond a shadow of a doubt to themselves and everyone else that Worley has not one prayer of ever getting it done as an SEC QB.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Eh. Seems if they still need proof they aren't good enough talent evaluators to win here. If they care about proving it to the fans then they don't have the balls to win here.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The players is what I'm thinking, but admittedly I'm grasping.

15. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

Don't you think they would replace Worley if they thought another QB gave them a better chance to win? I agree about his arm strength, but there is obviously some reason he is the starting QB.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This would be my concern as well. i get not wanting to throw a new kid to teh wolves against oregon, but he had two home games against inferior teams to break a younger kid in if he really thought that guy was better or would be better soon down the road.

17. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

I think this staff is concerned that they can't take that chance, as they need to win every winnable game. Apparently, they are concerned about taking a chance with another QB that might just cost them a likely win.

18. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

it has to do with young wr's as well. You already have one group not really knowing what's going on. Throwing a true fresh qb in early along with them isn't something the coach wants to do against one of the toughest schedules a team could have. If he is building brick by brick, you don't want to crack the confidence of talent early. Look at Croom already. We can't afford a headcase with a young qb after all the headcases we have had. Worley may suck, but he doesn't appear to be a headcase and his teammates like him, for now, and he can read the defense better when checking on or to run plays.
    I like what Butch doing with the situation. This is year 0. ha

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I feel like I've said this 50 times but I don't think it's an indictment of the true freshmen that they're not playing yet and I don't understand that line of thinking.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

did any go through fall camp?