You have to pull Worley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Until you ask them to run the read option, which everyone is also wanting

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Drives me nuts that the oline didnt pick up the wku d and carry them down the field.

Im not sure which is more frightening, the d or the run blocking?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well they both have the same amount of time in the offense.

4. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

OE, OL did get a good push in the 2nd half. At least it looked like we did.

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i thought so as well

6. JohnnyQuickkick

When I refer to "the freshmen" I am thinking Dobbs/Ferguson. They arrived in the fall.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

gotcha

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Maybe my expectations are a bit high, but this ol only starts to get a push on wku in the second half?

Is this unfair?

9. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I'd rather lose with a freshman with the potential to be better, than to lose with Worley and be stagnant. The only reason I will scream for Jones' head is if he is not taking our football program in the right direction.

10. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

I would rather have a weak-armed Worley that can make good decisions and doesn't lose games for us. There is a reason he is starting and I trust the coaching staff that they are making the right decision. I agree completely that Worley is not the quarterback of the future, but this staff wants to win enough to try to make a bowl this year to show progress in the program. They, obviously, aren't willing to have a freshman learn on the fly and possibly lose games because of their mistakes. I can't blame them for this approach. Worley is frustrating to watch and has made some terrible throws. However, he has made few mistakes other than the interception against Western. I fully expect that he will not be the starter next year, despite being a senior, and will likely be replaced this season when the coaching staff is comfortable putting a back-up into the starting position.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would say you could have had a walk on QB under center to beat APSU. Worley did not one damn thing to make the offense work against WKU. If this were a 8 or 9 win team, I could understand Worley being in. As of now, with or without Worley this is a 6 or 7 win team. I don't see Worley, barring a huge uptick in his play, finishing the season under center.

I do understand what they are doing, I just don't necessarily like it

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. limpleg

not unfair. I just don't think our ol is asked to do what Bama's does, and what we all liked to see with Fulmers good teams. I would like to hear from someone more familiar with OL, but it appears to me that we ask our line to block differently. I see the Center often just bump the dl and get the lb asap. We don't have a fb and we don't have a qb under center much, though I wish we would surprise with both some this weekend and see if we have one guy on the team that wants to get in and knock the hell out of an opposing lb, if even for a small handful of plays.
    Again, all jmo, but I know nothing about OL techniques, except for watching and forming an opinion. Seems to me at some points, we go ahead and let a guy take himself out of the play and just ride his momentum, rather than trying to hit him in the face and push him 3 yards back.

13. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I totally get your point. I believe that Worley will lose games for us because of his lack of arm strength. Any deep throw he attempts for the rest of the season (minus S. Alabama) could very well be picked off and possibly be 6 for the opposing defense. I really haven't seen him make very many good decisions throwing the ball, and if AP/WKU can force him to throw off his back foot with pressure up the middle on him, Lord only knows what will happen when an SEC defense gets a hold of him. I'm in agreement that the coaches see more and know more than I/we do, I just think if going 6-6 at the minimum is the goal this year, then you give the freshman QBs a shot.

14. limpleg

what if that freshman isn't mentally ready and takes a beating, mentally and physically? And guess who would be the first off the bench. Worley, and none of us want that.

15. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

I expect that Worley will not finish the season as starter, as well. For now, he may be the best decision to give the freshmen more practice time and, at least, some back-up experience. If he bombs against the better teams on our schedule, we will see a freshman start sooner rather than later. I don't agree that he did nothing in the WKU game. His first half was terrible, but he was much better in the second half. He will never be good at the deep passing game and we need that to win, he will have to be replaced.

16. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Okay. So what if Worley goes out against Oregon/Florida/Georgia etc and takes a mental and physical beating (which he will)? Peterman comes off the bench, and the exact same thing happens, then what? We go with a freshman, so what's the difference?

I agree that Worley is just a few bad throws/plays from a mental meltdown. I don't think he'll handle it, and he's not elusive enough in the pocket to where he can avoid the pass rush to keep from taking a straight shot.

The other thing is this, if a QB, freshman or not, can't take the mental punishment, they don't need to be playing QB at TN anyway. We've had freshman come in and play well at QB (Manning, Clausen, Ainge, Schaffer). Again, if the freshman don't have the potential to be one of the ones just listed, they shouldn't have been offered a scholarshp here to begin with.

17. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Totally agree with that last line.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

"kind of" in the sense that it isn't at all, what so ever. Saying Worley is likely going to fall apart sometime in the next month would be akin to the Kiffin stuff. Telling someone what they are going to say when the obvious happens is not.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Bolded is kind of what they're wanting? That's exactly what it appears they're shielding the youngsters from.

Manning wasn't asked to shoulder the load immediately, neither was Clausen (though he might have been had he not had an injury himself). Ainge and Schaeffer, it could be argued that's a similar situation but it seems like we had even less at the QB position then than we do now. Does anybody remember who they competed with? I don't.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I also totally agree that Worley is in no way the QB of the future, and hopefully one of the new guys becomes the guy. I'm just not sure it helps anybody to make it so too soon.

Also this staff has changed QBs before, it's not like they have a reputation of riding a sinking ship.