Worst staff in America

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by emainvol, Nov 9, 2013.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't think so. Head coach is going to sell the culture change - much easier in basketball due to the numbers. And the ability to quickly turn a roster over (on average freshmen and sophomores can contribute more in basketball than football).

I also think if you are going to argue ratios that you can't leave out the basketball coach's assisyants when you calculate it. The ratio has to be much smaller in basketball, no?

Finally, there are group dynamics at work. The herd mentality is stronger in football. Inertia, baby.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Don't forget Michigan counting their championship won against Howard's Corp.

:popcorn:

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Year two, the mentality needs to be gone

4. TennTradition

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment but rather the ratio argument. In my opinion, the job is harder. But it's still your job. You also get paid more, on average. Earn it.

5. OrangeEmpire

Kiffin did it quickly.

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Unfortunately he also left quickly

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But he inherited a group that had been in the SEC championship game just two years before.

Jones has inherited a bunch that spent three years under Dooley telling them how bad they were and with an orange dog motivating them.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We have 15 basketball players on the roster. We have 1 HC & 3 Assistant Coaches (and one dedicated S&C Coach).

-That's a ratio of 3.75 players/Coach without including the S&C Coach.
    -It's a ratio of 3 players/coach with the S&C Coach.

We have 120 football players. Roughly 40 are practice squad only leaving 80 players. We have 1 HFC & 10 Assistant Football Coaches. We also have another 7 Quality Control and/or Graduate Assistant Coaches.

-The ratio with practice squad players is 10.9 players/coach without the QC/GAs.
    -The ratio with the QC/GAs is 6.6 players/coach.
    -If you break that down to non-practice squad players (I'll work off the scholarship limit of 85 which we don't have), the ratio of the HC & Assistants is 7.27 players/coach.
    -If you include the QC/GAs, the ratio drops to 4.72 players/coach.
    -If you include the dedicated Football S&C Coach, the ratio drops to 4.47 players/coach.

I will add that football players spend the vast majority of their time not with the HC but with their position coaches. The discrepancies aren't as big as you think.

9. OrangeEmpire

The late Fulmer years were not far off.

10. TennTradition

There are graduate assistants and other 'coaches' around the asker ball program as well. Also, wouldn't you say a portion of that 15 in basketball is practice squad? Even with all of the added coaches in football and not counting them for basketball and taking out a third of the guys on the football squad while leaving them in for basketball , the number still woks out as the coaches in basketball getting 25% more one-on-one time.

Your last paragraph really makes my point though. The head coach sets the culture and others fall in line. The HFC has to sell his assistants who sell the players to a much larger degree than the HBC. The face time would seem to me to make it much easier as a HBC to set the culture you want with your players.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

After being told you suck for 3 years, you tend to believe it. Now, look at Palardy. He's been one of the best kickers in the country without dumble**** here. That's how quickly mentalities can change

12. TennTradition

Kicker also seems to be a position where you can very easily get mind-f@&"ed out of living up to your potential.

13. NorrisAlan

As much as his players loved him, I don't think Fulmer was shitting on his players like #ddiapos was. And that goes a long, looong way. Kiffen just had to come in and give a bit of youthful pizzazz and something fresh and the players picked it up.

CBJ is having to clean up after three years of the most inept and hateful coach I have ever heard of.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is. Kickers, quarterbacks and receivers are the worst

15. NorrisAlan

I remember Jimmy Johnson when he was at Dallas saying that as soon as a kicker missed too many kicks, he cut him and got another one. Simply because they were such mental cases.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Very few players respected Phil

17. NorrisAlan

That is not the vibe I got when UT was firing him. But I know no one on the inside, know no former players and rely purely on the radio and boards such as this for my information.

I always got the feeling his players loved him. I didn't see all the players coming into the presser when Dooley was canned clammering for him to keep his job.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Also it turned out that Bruce Pearl didn't exactly inherit a dead weight roster either, quite like Butch has. Just not sure that comparison works.

19. OrangeEmpire

Both late years Fulmer and Dooley piss me.

One was a caricature of a championship coach and the other just a pos.

I am not sure which is more damning?

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

All my numbers and stats came from UTSports.com. I didn't skew anything to my advantage. If I wanted to do that, I would have listed only scholarship players in football. There are no GAs listed on the site for basketball-http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/tenn-m-baskbl-coaches.html. If they were there, I would have included them. They are listed on the football staff page- http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/tenn-m-footbl-coaches.html

No, I still disagree that a significant difference exists in the player/coach ratios between football & basketball.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013