Worst staff in America

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by emainvol, Nov 9, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A few did love him.

Love and respect are two different things too. They knew they could do whatever the hell they wanted under Fulmer

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Basketball does have 2 ga's I believe

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Fair enough of the GAs. But odd. I thought we usually had at least one. Guess not. I appreciate the actual research behind the argument. It also looks like the 5 coaches include director of basketball operations?

Before we get close on the numbers 120 goes to 80 and 15 stays 15, no? Do those 15 include the equivalent to the 40 practice squad guys in football? My working hypothesis was yes - and that was the point I was making.

And, again, I will say I think the ratio argument is not a solid argument. The need to filter through assistants makes it more difficult for a football coach to set his culture than a basketball coach. That is irrespective of what ratios are maintained.

To me that just means that a football coach has a harder job when it comes to changing course. The good ones still get it done. It's not an excuse.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Honestly, I think it would be far easier for a basketball coach to instill culture than a football coach. With only 15 players, that is far fewer in the chain of command to carry out your instructions. You can personally know all 15 players far better than a HFC can with 90+ players.

The smaller the population, the easier it is to get consensus and teamwork done.

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Kiffin didn't follow three years of DIASPOS and his own one year barn storming quick exit train wreck. Kiffin followed a failing Fulmer regime that was only one year removed from Cutcliff's discipline and directly following Chavis' good 2008 D. The program while stagnant was not yet the dumpster fire its recovering from now.

6. VOLinDAWGland

I'll hold my nose and take Fulmer. At least he has a successful legacy. Dooley is, well, #DDIAPOS.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

lol at this discussion

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I get what you are saying now, but I'm also sure that a HC won't tolerate assistants undermining their messages (good or bad) for too long before they are fired or they suddenly decide to "retire" as in a not too long ago UT receiver coach's situation. That's just my experience. I did find it odd that no GAs were listed for basketball. I didn't include the Dir. Of Operations for either sport (at least not intentionally). I did include any S&C coaches dedicated to the particular sport (in the highest coach tally). I also included numbers without those specialized S&C coaches.

I don't know how basketball works in respect to the 15 number to be honest. I'm short, fat, & white. I'm incapable of understanding basketball.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Damn you Sweet River Baines!

10. JayVols

What else is there to do on a Monday morning?

11. JayVols

Leave the Globetrotters out of this!

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I look at it more as a loss of impact or some assistants not being as effective as others in delivering the message than I do straight up undermining.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Agreed

14. JayVols

I can see that.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You actually expect there will be a new DC?

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

At this rate, even the most loyal HC would be ready to make a change.

17. VOLinDAWGland

Regardless of the merits of doing it, won't happen. This season will be excused as an issue with talent, depth, youth and new system. Next year will be excused by youth. 2015 won't have any excuses, hopefully Jones won't find himself in a position of running out of time and fan patience.

18. JayVols

Sounds familiar.

Not that I'm making that comparision.

19. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Progress. Just show it. That's all I want. Dooley was so bad he regressed over 3 years.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Progress was shown and then the last 3 weeks it fell off a cliff.