[penis] Huffman's Spring Practice Conclusion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The defense he went with was the problem. Stick to track & field.

2. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I'm not defending him - just saying that wasn't the best example to rag on someone for.. I think he was average and about what you would expect for what he had to work with and being in the first year at a new school.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Oh boo hoo. Please don't mean talk my Janceck.

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Lol - its beyond delusional to think that even the greatest game-plan of all time could've stopped Auburn from running all over our slow and no-talent defense.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Except that output won't ****ing change a damn bit with his nail v. hammer philosophy. He tried to defend everything an offense could possibly do instead of playing a consistent defense that tries to take away the offense' strength.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My take after watching:

Dobbs has improved

Hurd is going to be great

Malone appears to have adjusted to the college game quickly

Vereen and Maggitt may actually provide Tennessee with a decent pass rush

Reeves-Maybin will be a solid starting lb here for 3 years

The 2014 defensive class can't get here quick enough

The ol is still a huge work in progress

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Right, so he was completely excused in lining up to stop the pass while giving their ground game everything it needed to break national records.

8. JayVols

Hell, we should have forfeited then.

No team with less speed & talent has ever been able to slow a superior team down. Why waste the effort in game-planning, right?

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Probably trying something new that was so unorthodox that it just might work.. that is after seeing Auburn run train on the rest of the SEC. They ran for 300 on Ala-****in-bama. That may have been the best rushing attack the SEC had ever seen.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was surprised that the defense forced as many turnovers as it did. There was a concentrated effort to strip the ball carrier and Sutton played great as a true freshman

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I would be much happier to have the effort centered on winning the LOS than creating TOs 5-10 yards downfield.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't think 'unorthodox' is the best term for a defense that removes a LB from the box so it can be outnumbered by anything on the ground.

13. JayVols

****ing stupid is the phrase I would use.

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

They ran to the edge every play - and successfully IIRC.

15. JayVols

Exactly.

Right where the LB he removed for another DB would have been sitting.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I also wanna add that this "Dobbs only went up against the 2s while Ferguson saw the 1s" is complete bullshit. After the first period they both had a mix of both defensive units.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think the extra reps and handful of games that Dobbs got has given him a jump start on a guy with similar talent.

After yesterday I see enough improvement in Dobbs to believe he can get it done as well.
    I have nothing against Worley but unless he really gives you a much better chance to win (which I don't see) you develop the young QBs with your young skill guys and go forward.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I've seen nothing out of Bajay that makes me believe he can develop a QB. His approach to the Mizzou game says as much. Regarding Dobbs experience showing through yesterday I think you're 100% spot on. I'll even go as far as to say Peterman's 2 Qtrs at UF have helped him.

What will be interesting in fall camp is how much credence they give to practice reps vs. live fire scrimmage reps.

19. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Will withhold judgement on the defense until 3 of its best starters are on the field consistently in AJJ, Saulsberry and Randolph.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Understandable. It needs to be said though that spring scrimmages are naturally set up for defenses to be successful.