[penis] Huffman's Spring Practice Conclusion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't think I know more than Jancek, but I do think I might have better judgement. Maybe. Perhaps.

2. JayVols

I get it. He's a DB guy. I respect your need to defend him. He's a good kid from what I know of him, but the fact remains that we had a walk-on playing in the nickel position. Jancek chose to pull a scholly LB to play a pass defense against a heavy heavy run offense that attacks the edges.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To be fair, both Brewer and Sapp were of walk on quality at linebacker.

I do wonder what Reeves-Maybin was doing to not see defensive snaps last season.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can understand the 2011 game to a degree, a young team collapsing when the star gets hurt. I understand that. Do I think that a better coach rallies the troops and gets their heads on straight? Yes, but, Dooley.

2012 was ridiculous.

2013, we all yelled for the backup and Butch gave it to us. Now, the decision to go with Peterman was terrible in hindsight, but Worley looked terrible leading up to the UF game as well.

5. JayVols

True.

I should have said that we moved the 2 remaining LBs further inside, removed one, & replaced them with a guy even further away and avoided the talent statement.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Got to met him Saturday after the game. Seems like a really good kid.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Here's my take, if the offensive line can get there, we might be a little better than people are saying we are going to be.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If they can be solid (or average) this team can win 7 games.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Doubtful. The OL will struggle and Tennessee still has Worley as the #1 QB. The defense isn't going to be that good this coming season. Will they have moments? Sure, but the staff is relying on a lot of freshmen in a lot of spots. Throw in the fact Jancek is the man in charge, there will be issues. There's a lot of talent coming in, but they'll have to get acclimated to the college game. If you get 2 or 3 immediate contributors per class, you're doing good. As it stands now, Tennessee needs true freshmen to step up all over the DL, at LB, all over the secondary, the right tackle spot and running back.

I think this is a 6 or 7 win team if they avoid the injury bug and don't collapse down the stretch.

We've all seen how much a great passing game means in regards to wins and losses. See 2012.

The pieces are getting here. 2015 will be the year I expect to contend. Butch flipped nearly half the roster this offseason.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not arguing with you. I think the nickel was a stupid way to go. Just don't think a true freshman walkon can really be described as "sucking" for managing to start in his first year at a position he didn't play in high school.

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

My thoughts as well

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

At least on offense we will. We are set at WR. We are in good shape at RB as long as we stay healthy. If the OL can pass block, whoever the QB is will be successful with the guys he has to throw to.

But....still alot of questions on that OL

13. BigOrangeBeech

Yep on all. 7 regular season wins would be a great accomplishment Butch this year. And IMO would allow for the recruiting momentum to continue.

I still worry about our coordinators though as do many others.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If the OL class pans out like it's looking for 2015 and Tennessee lands a QB, I don't think it matters who the OC is.

If the defensive class of 2014 lives up to its billing, the DC may not matter.

15. BigOrangeBeech

Hopefully we get that chance to find out.

16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Let me note by a little better, I mean from 5 to 6 wins to 6 to 7 wins.

17. JayVols

That's fair.

18. BigOrangeBeech

And Where were you this weekend?

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

he got a lot of yard work accomplished. He would have had an annuerism if he would have seen the ill advised tackling attempts of the qb's live.

20. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I think Worley has a good grasp of this offense. His injury was the difference in having a bowl game this past season. I still believe that he doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to the burners on a fly/deep post.

When they had the QB challenge, Worley and Peterman hit the first two targets and missed the last two. Dobbs hit the first four and was off on the last one. Ferguson hit the first three, was just short on number four and damn near hit number 5.

Dobbs has a pretty good arm based on Saturday and I think Ferguson has a cannon.