[penis] Huffman's Spring Practice Conclusion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I said a while back to not count Dobbs out. You can tell he's worked hard this offseason. His arm looked stronger, he looked more accurate and he looks more mobile.

I honestly am not worried too much about the QB position. OL is another story. I don't think they're terrible, but they have a long ways to go.

This offense could be surprisingly good if the OL can hold their pants up.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Burney Veazey

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I love Dobbs. In my opinion he's better right now than the rest and I believe his ceiling is higher. Realistically though he's yet to be as impressive to the decision makers who are content with a Furman level QB and two other guys who have been far from stellar when there are more than a handful sets of eyes watching from the stands.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Lance on this one.

5. kidbourbon

How did you watch? Has the game been posted in its entirety?

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm sure you would. You'd prolly be personally offended if Tennessee managed to keep Auburn under 40 points. You're agreeing with a guy who previously stated playing 6 against 7 is an unorthodox approach that might have worked.

All kidding aside, it was a shitty effort from the staff to curtail Auburn's ground game. A lot of DCs were embarrassed by Auburn this year but I doubt any of them conceded the run through scheme.

7. kidbourbon

I understand that it wasn't pretty, and that one reaction from a fan's perspective is that heads need to roll, but I just don't think there was anything we were going to do. It was a bad matchup.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It is a bad matchup. But as a DC you live for those. That defensive approach made it painfully obvious that he shouldn't be given the controls at this level.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Stick to tennis. Freakin' Marcellus knows that you don't try to stop a run heavy offense by going nickel.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  10. JayVols

I'm not your average fan. I know the game just a tad.

11. kidbourbon

Over/under on # of rushing yards a JayVols coordinated 2013 UT D could have held Auburn to:

12. JayVols

Explain how running a nickel against that was the right call or stfu.

13. kidbourbon

This was solid, though. Touche.

14. JayVols

Thought you'd like that.

15. kidbourbon

It wasn't the right call, but was the right call going to do? Our LBs were slow as shit. Our secondary reeked worse than my nuts do.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That's a dumb ****ing question.

17. JayVols

So you got nothing. Glad we established that.

The point is that moving your (one fewer) LBs further away from the point of attack like you do in a pass defense like the nickel & replacing that guy with an even shittier DB that's 15 yards further away from the point of attack than your LBs would normally be is a move that should earn Jancek at least a kick in the [penis].

I'll never question you on tennis strategy because I don't know shit about tennis strategy. See where I'm going with this?

18. kidbourbon

I can't disagree with this. We can at least give him a kick right square in the [penis]. Most importantly, in my estimation, is the bolded part above. Our Nickel guy last year -- I'd need to look up his name -- was just atrocious at the game of football. We shouldn't have been fabricating opportunities to get him on the field.

All I'm saying is that, against Auburn last year, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. And if you disagree with this, you haven't said it yet.

19. kidbourbon

Why's that?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's dig a little deeper. If our secondary stunk "worse than your nuts do," what chance do we have of taking away the pass (even in nickel)? None. Yet we go to nickel and concede the run knowing we can't stop the pass? Schematically, you have to respond to the offensive personnel on the field. Otherwise you have no chance because your guys, stinky or not, aren't in a position to have any chance of making a play. Unless you are Indy in a video game and cheese.