Phil Robertson Suspended...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Dec 18, 2013.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I am. You said large portion, so what large portion are you referring to?

2. g8terh8ter_eric

Don't bring a Klingon into this!

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The Christian right?

4. g8terh8ter_eric

How do they shit on them?

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Let's see.

By making gay marriage a political issue, [itch bay]ing endlessly about the "homosexual agenda," and just generally being meddling *******s. That's a start, and by start, I mean the tip of a ****ing massive iceberg.

6. g8terh8ter_eric

Just so I completely understand your rant, are you talking about a religous political movement or practicing Christians as a whole? Just want to see where you separate or don't separate the two.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Religious political movement. Of course, I think that Christians that stay quiet are culpable as well. However, there are plenty of good folks in the Christian community, and they probably outnumber the shitbags by a pretty good sum.

That said, there are millions out there that blindly follow the Falwells (yeah, I know he's dead), Campfields, and Arizonas of the world.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Racist, imo.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I left a church in the last two years that was full of nothing but hatred & contempt for gays. They said "hate the sin, love the sinner." Those were words only as their deeds did indeed show hatred for the "sinner" as well.

10. g8terh8ter_eric

I didn't channel my inner Kirk.

11. g8terh8ter_eric

Fair enough.

12. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

What do people expect Phil to say?

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ironically, Phil Robertson has become the new Dixie Chicks.

Each have a right to say whatever it is they want to say, but this right doesn't shield them from whatever public fallout it may cause to occur.

The same people who condemned the Dixie Chicks now likely support Robertson, and vice versa.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Except Natalie Maines shaved her head and went to Europe, never to be heard from again.

Phil is still making money hand over fist selling crappy duck calls.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I wish they all would just go away.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't get that, either. A 70 year old man that's heavily involved in church thinks homosexuality is bad. That's not really shocking.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Great point.

Perhaps the most blame needs to be placed on the History Channel - who not only chose to bring such a measure of fame to their clan, but who I should also be reminded is making even MORE money than any of the Robertson's as a result.

It seems difficult to exempt them from all of this, or to think they're blameless in any regard, when it is they who have provided the very platform by which he espoused the belief, and which they now feign such disagreeable disgust.

And the suspension is the epitome of disingenuous, IMO. He hasn't wavered from his opinion, one iota. And everyone knows it.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's been traveling and speaking at church events long before he got a tv show. It seems odd to me they didn't know his views on homosexuality before they stuck a boom mic and camera in his house.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Of course they knew. The risk of blowback was and is less than the gain. They're too far in now. I mean, the merchandising is on Mickey Mouse levels. The History Channel stopped being about history or education long ago. It isn't surprising that they are also unconcerned with social issues one way or the other.

Which is part of my annoyance with this. I get that some people take a hard line on homosexuality. I don't agree with it. But I don't like it when people try to walk a line on such an issue to take advantage of both camps. Robertson and his group aren't the ones playing games with the public.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

like it or not he's currently a major celebrity and in this country celebrities opinions matter. he has no right to complain. if he wants to go back to obscurity he can surely stop the tv show and stop cashing the checks.