Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

given the fact that 70% of all illegal immigrants are residents of mexico i see no way possible that could be true. now it is true that illegal immigratrion has slowed considerably because of the economy, but all that means is less people are crossing over, not that they aren't coming at all, or are going back in large numbers. i imagine we have a lot of people telling relatives "the economy stinks, don't come."

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've seen that from multiple sources, but I'm with you that the economy is playing a factor. I'm not saying that if it's true that we should just keep the status quo.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I really don't know of anyone that uses them now. Seems easier to just feed hay and rotate your cattle to shorten the amount of days that you have to feed hay, but I have really different views on farming than most.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

even if it was at a net zero at this point (which obviously is impossible to prove) we still have to deal with the tens of millions that are already here.

5. JayVols

That was my general point.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well, this was a dairy farm. You've got to safely get a large amount of energy/grain into the cows' systems on a daily basis. Feeding straight pellets is hard to do w/o feeding each cow individually. My papaw tried what you're describing on his farm. His cows averaged about 40 lbs of milk a day. Ours averaged over 60.

7. JayVols

Dros, we might not agree 100% on what should be done, but I'm sure you have a better grip on the scope of the issue given your location.

8. JayVols

We just dig a hole, line it in black plastic, and cover it. Silos are pricey.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's hard to find a small dairy farm today. Dairy has a ton of regulations and it's hard to make it.

I have no doubt if you feed more grain that you will produce more milk, but that doesn't mean that it cost productive. Silos aren't cheap nor easy to operate.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But they sure do look pretty. Even if they don't have anything in them and they're full of bats.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Acting as if Indians are having difficulty getting jobs or are victims of racism is pretty silly. Maybe some people are upset, but it's not exactly slowing the Indian community down.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I disagree with you on these points, but, to be fair, I do realize that you are living in a crossroad much different than mine, although the immigrant population to Nashville has risen dramatically. So, no doubt our perspectives have a different conception of the reality of this situation.

Still, many of the arguments you are using were the same ones used during those times when we, as you say, needed them. I think we are quite capable of handling the influx of immigrants and the flow of immigrants will, generally, respond to the condition of the economy, anyway.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I know there is a problem when i see 50+ guys standing outside every home depot looking for work. many there even very late in the day. it certainly does not feel to me like we are handling the immigration well at all. california schools are terrible despite spending more per student than 45 other states. our roads are terrible. our infractructure stinks. try going to the emergency room and getting in to see a doctor in under 2 hours. food stamps and welfare costs are double a % of expenses than 30 years ago. all of these things are directly related to millions of people here illegally and not contributing their "fair share." all this despite the fact we have some of the richest average incomes in the world (let alone the country) and among the highest taxes of any state. sure, i can get my lawn cut and my house cleaned for nearly nothing, but the strain on everything else is terrible.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think, in your case, geography is the enemy there. California is going to resemble NYC in 1895 as the entry point for many of these immigrants and create a logjam in the area. There are plenty of places in the rest of the country in which low wage workers are needed, although getting to places like, say, North Dakota or Idaho are not on many itineraries.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

i don't understand what you are saying.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I thought I must have missed a post.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm not sure I understand the confusion.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying there are not "few people" who have problems importing doctors and engineers. I'm not saying they are being discriminated by employers, employers are the ones bringing them in. I don't know if you misunderstood me or if you are just saying it out loud and not directing it at me. I did not claim they were having difficulty getting jobs or are being directly victimized. I am saying some people resent it.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

20. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor