If you were an Offensive Coordinator...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Sep 12, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You design plays based on defending a potential pick six?

2. kidbourbon

You think running the ball was going to work? I guess you missed the game.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, no I think you missed the ****ing game if you think going 5 wide on the goal line was a good idea.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is he better than what we have? Yes, but that's not saying much. Is he or the offense he runs our only shot at offensive success? No.

The red zone shortens the field significantly, especially when you are as close as we were. If you are going to try to have your shitty QB fit it in a tight space, yes, I like to have a safety net back there. It also provides the threat of run and allows for an extra blocker in case we need it (which we did 90% of the time).

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How did we gain a large portion of the yards to get us to that point in the drive? I'll hang up and listen.

He doesn't understand football. There is no point trying to make sense of his posts.

6. kidbourbon

I never said it was. I'm posing a question of what would have been a good idea. Gah-Lee's point about the OL is a good one. They had us totally outmatched in the trenches on that side of the ball. That handcuffs a playcaller. I think no matter what they run you could say it was a bad idea. Hence, why I posed the question.

7. kidbourbon

(1)
    Really? That's your response? So let me get this straight: you didn't respond to my question about whether we were having more success running or passing over the course of the game, and then you respond with a question of how we did basically over the course of a single long run by Hurd? Am I getting that right? Yes, I'm getting that right.

We had two fairly solid runs by Hurd on the evening. Take away those two and our run game -- on the 31 other attempts* -- was absolutely abysmal. Now if you know so much about football, and I'm so ignorant on the subject, then do explain to me why running the ball to get two yards was a good idea when we couldn't run the ball the entire game, save two plays. Don't say you know something about football; demonstrate it. I'll appreciate the enlightenment.

(2)

See above.

*This may include sacks. I'm not sure how they do that on the box score. If so, subtract the sacks. The number is no less abysmal.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. kidbourbon

Well of course not. Who the hell said it was?

9. kidbourbon

The correct answer is: you throw a jump ball to Marquez North.

But what the hell do I know?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I offered a number of different play calls that would have been better.

You don't need to run the ball well. It's 3rd and 2 on the 4 yard line, and you have a bowling ball running back who falls forward nearly every run. He can get you 2 yards in 2 plays. He was good for a yard or two for most of the night. Check the play by play. And if they go all out to stop the run, hit them with play action. It's pretty simple. We had 2 plays 2 get 2 yards and then another 4 to get 2 more. You don't go 5 wide in that situation. You just don't.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's just what they're expecting. Better go to Croom for the redemption. Or maybe a screen to J Smoove.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't disagree with this. Put Hurd in the backfield and show run, then try to drop the fade in the corner.

Personally, I run the ball to get the first and then throw to the corner on first and goal.

13. kidbourbon

They had just run the ball to Hurd on the previous previous play. Your point about Hurd falling forward is actually a good one as he normally did fall forward for at least a yard, and probably more like two, so long as he got to the LOS scrimmage without a dude in his grill. But on the first down he did have a guy right in his grill, and I honestly think that might have been the case each and every time they tried a running play that deep into Oklahoma territory. Like you said, when you're that close to the endzone the field is shorter and so the defense knows it isn't getting spread out. And with that being the situation, and with them huffman-slapping our OL the way that they were, I don't think a running play has a terribly good likelihood for success.

14. kidbourbon

I got no beef with having a RB in the backfield. However you need to isolate North, isolate North. He's our best guy, and jump balls are one of his strong points, so give him a shot at it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. So we are all in agreement that the 5 wide shit was dumb. Cool.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know what you want me to say. I think we should have ran the ball. You don't. I think I'm right and you don't know what you're talking about. You think you're right.

All I know is we didn't run the ball. We came out in 5 wide (at which point I yelled out loud "what the **** are we doing?") and threw a pick six. At the worst (most likely), running the ball turns it over on the 3 or 4 yard line, and our defense comes out with a chance to hold them again. Sounds a hell of a lot better than a pick 6.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Only play I'd like out of 5 wide would be a rub route, but that only works against man. Were they in man?

Either way, motion the #2 receiver on the 2 receiver side across the formation to the trips. Snap the ball and have him run a shallow out while all three receivers in the trips run short slants at the guy manning him up. Dude has to chase all the way across the formation and then avoid 3 guys coming at him. Again, only works against man though.

And I'd still rather run the ball.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

OL be damned, you run the ball twice in that situation. If you can't get it, you don't deserve it. 5 wide works when Manning is your QB.

19. kidbourbon

There were no question marks.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah. Similar to my post... to which you were responding.