Racism is alive at The University of Oklahoma.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Probably filmed by someone that didn't get in the frat.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

OV with the subtle "snitches get stitches" post

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was a girlfriend/date. So I guess you're correct.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Likely one of the brothers dates on the bus. I've done my fair share of lecturing dumb freshman girls for constantly taking pictures and videos. (Because we had alcohol in places and at times we weren't allowed to, we don't have any racist chants as far as I know)

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did this girl post this on facebook or something, or did she leak it somewhere? I had assumed it was purposefully recorded.

6. RockyHill

I'm not sure how it got leaked exactly. I heard it was through snapchat but I don't think the recipient of a video snapchat can save it. If the person who recorded leaked it themselves I don't envy them.

7. RockyHill

Also, don't be shocked when Oklahoma over steps their bounds in disciplining the students and fraternity as they bend to public pressure, and then Oklahoma finds itself staring down a lawsuit or several. The video is bad, really bad, but they still deserve due process.

Edit: This partially in response to the rumor that Oklahoma may expell some members from school.

8. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

as a group given to discourse, we are brilliant by comparison.

and i say that with the appropriate humility.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

They can sue, but they won't win. This is definitely within the realm of things a university can expel you for. You have no right to attendance.

10. RockyHill

If they expell them in accordance with their policies and follow necessary procedures, you're right. However, it wouldn't be the first time a national fraternity or university took action and violated their own policies, subjecting themselves to legal action.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They do have the right to freedom of speech though. I disagree with what they were saying, but I don't like the school kicking out students in higher Ed for offensive speech.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Agree. Make them all wear their letters and attend the next NPHC step show on campus.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I mostly agree but we all know freedom of speech does not include freedom from consequence. Might be best for these guys to finish education elsewhere.

14. RockyHill

Unless Oklahoma has policies dictating punishment for that kind of speech/behavior (many universities don't), there may not be much they can do.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they'd have done the classroom disrupting instructional time, I'd agree with kicking them out.

However, I hope that the public pressure pushes them to leave and reevaluate their views.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most universities aren't too friendly with free speech. That's why trigger warning and shit are gaining traction

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They were secretly taped right? it's not like they walked the campus chanting this. Not defending the dumbasses btw, but I think depriving them of their frat and home which they have already done seems like an appropriate response to the act.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Agreed. Being on that tape is going to stick to the individuals forever. What employer in their right mind would hire one of these kids. Hopefully they've already learned something.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Just for the record:

There were no racist songs sung in my fraternity.

Let's pump the brakes before we play the Racism-As-Waldo game.

Best,
    KidB

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Man, that sounds good.