Racism is alive at The University of Oklahoma.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I hate having to defend racist, but that code shouldn't be able to strip individuals of their rights.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

steeped in limitations on speech? aren't these the same institutions that go miles out of their way to defend loony professors when they say outlandish and incendiary crap?

Double standard is stupid. Free speech is cool, as long as it fits the larger narrative.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in particular their right to say something dumbshit in private. it'd be one thing if they were shouting this in their classes.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I sincerely doubt theirs allows for expelling a student for this.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

don't stoop to personal attacks here, bpv.

[​IMG]

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Also, it would have been hysterical if the fraternity owned both their house and the land it sits on (some fraternities do, but not many). All this would be transpiring and OU would have no means of kicking them out of their house.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Institutions of higher learning stifling free speech, even the dumbest comments, seems counterintuitive and makes me uneasy.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Public institutions at that.

9. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

if they had been anti-semetic, universities would be lining them up for the lecture circuit.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep. Again, nothing illegal or rule breaking about being a racist dirtbag

11. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

See Joe MIxon

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Bingo! Turning a blind eye or even condoning the far left agendas of their profs. What a fine example they set

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

When it rattles cages and only then do they do so to appease select parties

It's the arbitrary approach (to our Constitutional rights) as a whole that I find most disturbing

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've seen a tenured professor get fired for uttering the word "*****" in the context of Victorian morality and sexuality, a class he had taught for 20 years. There was a time loony professors were protected and tenure meant something, but it is past.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

oookay, this is taking a volnation turn so I'm just going to walk away from this thread.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What does that mean?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Suddenly became about those damn liberals. Just going to let this wind mill go.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This isn't a left vs right issue. It's way bigger than that, the shitty part is having to defend the rights of a racist. That's the shitty part about freedom.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think their right to freedom of speech is being violated in any way. The 1st amendment doesn't mean nothing can happen to you for what you say, it means the government will not infringe upon your right or ability to say it. Otherwise, we should all be suing google right now for not being able to type swear words on Tenny's forum. But google, or a university, is not the government.