The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I am intrigued. I am going to have to try this next summer.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, that is not what I'm telling you. What I'm telling you is that neither need anything. They are good in their own ways, as just pieces of charred meat. Good in different ways, obviously. That's variety.

Both, however, are made better with additions.

There is salt present in the meat, naturally. Your addition is artificial, already.

And no, you have different taste buds for a reason. If you are overpowering a single one, try using less of whatever it is that is overpowering. You wouldn't dump a pound of salt on a steak. Don't coat the whole thing in sauce, either.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Whether meat needs "sauce" or some marinade or additive is all about fat content. Steaks or meat with high marbling or fat content don't require it (flank, rib roast, BBQ) but it would be nearly impossible to make chicken breast or filet without salt, marinade or sauce. I mean maybe you like it that way, but I wouldn't.

Maybe this has already been said, tho.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That all makes sense to me.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

When I cook up a steak, I take it out of its paper and put it right on the grill.

I used to put steak sauce on it. But then my balls dropped.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My favorite steak cut is rib eye, and I marinate it overnight in Italian dressing.

I'm not gonna rip anybody who does it different. Do it how you like it.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That place is in my list of BBQ spots I need to try b

8. TennTradition

I really liked Home Team's pulled pork when I was down there.

9. fl0at_

Why even grill it, big balls?

10. fl0at_

I even cook it to how the person I'm serving it to likes it. Weird, I know. It's like people have differing tastes.

11. TennTradition

I love a good bernaise sauce ... I hear you, but it's too good not to have with steak, even filet.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Warm food is what separates us from the animals.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its worth the visit. The brisket was right.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nailed it.

Anybody have a Masterbuilt or similar gas or electric smoker?

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Had an 8 pound butt in for an hour and throwing some wings in around noon today for tonight. First time I've tried wings.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Wings are really good. I like them with hot sauce

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Too true. A place I used to live had a bbq joint that always smelled great but the food was shitty. It dawned on me that just about any meat smells good WHILE its cooking, but what happens before and after it goes on the grill makes or breaks it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I found a vertical Brinkmann trailmaster on clearance for $79.99. I'd love a Yoder or something like that but the price is too high for a casual griller like me. Will season it today and smoke a shoulder roast tomorrow.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Was goofing around the net and found a recipe for BBQ sauce I'm going to try too. We'll see how this works out.........

20. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

A BBQ man in Meridianville, AL back in the 60's, (who was called "The Master), simply used vinegar, black pepper, red pepper, and lemon juice fro 2-3 lemons.. To this day, it is the most tender I have ever had.