Find me a candidate

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tar Volon, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I've already whittled it down to three must-haves (pro-life, not a hawk, actually sees structural inequality as something that needs to be addressed). I feel like that's a relatively small number.

Not that this makes you wrong--but right now I think I'd rather not vote than give in on one of the remaining three

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Sanders is easily the most genuine and likable (my opinion) of all candidates. Doesn't mean he would make a good president, but at least he has substance.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Write-in.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh look, you disagree with me thinking not all structural inequality is due to government monopoly by stating an example of a cause of structural inequality that isn't due to a government monopoly. Outside the box.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. Tar Volon

A distinct possibility. Although it's going to take some hunting to even find a write-in I can support

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You're going to wake up with your b-hole sore and greasy no matter who you vote for. You have to decide if you want rich people to tell you we have to take from the rich to give to the poor, or if you want rich people to tell you we have to make the rich richer and it will trickle down to you.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Float's planning to write-in Anderson Cooper and I'll do the same. Join us.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is he "pro-life?"

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He's pro-choice.

Tar's only write-in, off the top of my head: Tar. He's going to have to vote for himself.

I'd suggest a campaign that attempts to make concessions with the libertarians on government involvement, concessions with the republicans on foreign policy, concessions with the democrats on pro-choice... all while making no concessions of your own, on those issues.

Good luck!

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think Tar is old enough to be constitutionally eligible.

11. Tar Volon

I feel like this is not an unreasonably extensive list of key issues, and I don't think my positions are an unreasonable combination or a random hodgepodge of issues. To me at least, they seem like they're all coming from one, consistent ideology--recognizing all of humanity as valuable brings me to support the families and unborn children, discourage war, and seek answers for those who are too often frozen out of the current system. It's just that there doesn't seem to be any party that shares that ideology. . .

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There's always Jimmy Carter, then. He was mostly pro-life.

13. Tar Volon

You would be correct. I could be a representative, but not senator or president.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Who said all? And structural inequality is garbage. Exists for everyone who wants to make an excuse.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The structural inequality stuff is massively over the top.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Rand Pauls my guy. As far as inequality, the only thing I'm worried about is third world poverty. Poor people in this country are obese. That was seen as a luxury throughout world history. There are people dying of highly treatable diseases and malnutrition in Africa and Southern Asia. Those are the people that I feel badly about.

17. Tar Volon

I'll buy that it's exaggerated at times, but I've become convinced that it's definitely real. Read too many convincing stories, and it makes too much damn sense.

Yeah, the poor people in this country are not as bad off as poor people in other countries. Granted. But that doesn't mean there aren't problems that are very worth fixing. What's the reason poor people in this country are obese? Think it has anything to do with processed sugar being about the cheapest calories you can buy? Better than starving to death, certainly, but it's not an indicator that there aren't problems.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The poor in this country are obese, but what folks either don't realize or overlook is that they are often malnourished as well. Even with overeating, the sort of food that is most affordable doesn't contain enough nutritional value.

19. Tar Volon

Which, if nothing else, puts a strain on our healthcare system.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Cecil Shoemaker