Electoral Map

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, May 4, 2016.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Why are we setting our standards in comparison to how people in Ghana or Haiti live? How about we try to make it really good in America and not give a shit about what anyone else's standard is these days?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We still were the drivers in the first industrial revolution though and had a higher standard of living before WWII.

The second industrial movement of the 50's saw the largest improvement of standard of living in human history and we were also the ones that made that happen.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If only someone could believe this without being accused of xenophobia, racism, isolationism or Nazi-like nationalism.

4. Tenacious D

It's been my understanding that America has never done anything for anyone, and that the world would be a better place if it was weak and crippled.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And as always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Your assumption is that it already isn't really good in America.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Awful? By what standard?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this isn't one of those cases. The only way people can made any argument we don't have it at worst as good as anyone else is to talk about silliness of income inequality.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oh, opposition to your rewrite of history is rah rah. You're a clown with this stuff. We created an economic system that changed the world and then moving toward it has helped everyone. We also threw away the Kings. It isn't by accident ours is the most powerful economy ever.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Exactly. When you need plight to garner votes and retain power, you make it relative.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Like Bernie inventing that we have the highest child poverty rate in the world.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And this whole gilded age argument is just stupid. Again, nobody can make even a remotely viable argument as to why it matters, but it continues to be beaten into the ground. You'd think reasonably bright people would understand that it's purely for vote gathering.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'd say it's more than that. We have a lot of ****-ups, no doubt, but the world post WWII is most definitely worse off without us.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why argue absolutes? No one is arguing the above.

15. Tenacious D

I'm pretty sure that our economy is only the greatest and strongest in the history of the world because of how we treated Native Americans, and probably, also as a result of slavery.

16. Tenacious D

Really? I'll wager that Un and that a sizable number of uber-liberals have my post, or its close approximation, quoted on a THC-saturated poster, as their fav quote on their MySpace page or tattooed somewhere on their body.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We definitely did our part, but the British drove the bus on capitalism and industrialization.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not for the last 100 years.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

True. We are the heirs to what they started, but the 20th century was definitely ours.. Britain and the US are the first two world powers that have actually wanted to make the world a better place.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's highly subjective, isn't it? Alexander the Great? Kublai Khan? Some of the Roman emperors? Just off the top of my head.