Offense/Defense tape study

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That would be pace with direction. So it's doubly off

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just pace with color. Direction is too much to ask.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Go outside and step in a big pile of dog shit. That is our offense.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's guessing which hand admiral nelson has the walnut in.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Pace is just a way to get somebody out of position or tired or mismatched. Pace is a technique, not a strategy.

Also, the way we do pace is stupid. After big plays, rush to the line, hand off into a pile for a gain of 1. 2nd and 9, baby!!

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yeah, maybe I just don't understand the misdirection. The back crosses the QB on every handoff. It's like we eliminate one side of the field for rushing.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Maybe the saddest part is, here we are, YEARS later and still discussing how the running game will never work without the defense having to respect the QB keeping it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm no guru.

You want to put the defense into conflict and that's what kills us when Dobbs doesn't keep the ball in our running game. There's nothing to keep the defense from flying up and closing the running lanes.

We also refuse to hit the TE across the middle to slow them down either. Basically it's see key, and fly to the ball.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's such a simple fix too. Hit the TE and have Dobbs keep 4 out of 10 times.

You're not getting a world beater, but you're getting a functional offense

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Couldn't have said it better.

Our offense doesn't really have an identity. Knowing how Butch loves flahy things, I imagine he latched onto the newest thing, spread with tempo, and adopted it as his own. Problem is, he sucks at it. We don't employ true spread principles & we only give lip service to tempo and that has hurt our defense in the past. Our offense is just another act in the Butch Jones Dog & Pony Show. All style (albeit attempted style) and no substance.

11. JayVols

Pace done right is strategy too. Think wearing down the defense & getting them to get caught in situations the personnel on the field is not suited to defend.

Problem is, our "pace" has only served to exhaust our own defense.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Oregon knows how to pace.

Auburn, 11 and 13, knew how to pace.

This offense is about running as fast as possible with no rhyme or reason to it.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

They let Dan LeFevour rush for 3000 yards and 50 TDs while QB at Central Michigan. I don't get it.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That was also when they were running a contrarian offense at the time and flowing one of the more successful coaches.

Defense has really evolved since the spread has become the standard offense in college. However our system isn't to blame but at the hands of play calling and being poor fundamentally on offense.

15. JayVols

Yep. It's the flashy new(ish) thing that an ADD coach that has no foundation or concrete principles uses as a smokescreen to mask the fact that he is a fraud. Lookin' at you, Butch.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

To the OP, I hope you don't mind me using your video.

Here is one running play from the first drive in slo-mo. I'll admit that I know very little about football, but I do remember this. Some time ago, I supervised the computer labs for a college and I had several football players that worked for me as a way of helping with their tuition. Once upon a time I heard some linemen talking about a "lookout block". One said that they would look back at the QB or RB and shout "LOOKOUT!!", as the defender wreaked havoc on them.

Wonder if that is the block #71 used on this play?

[video=youtube;QdlAQ8zHAZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdlAQ8zHAZI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I told somebody once, it's all window dressing and no windows

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yowzers. Three guys Weisman could have blocked. He chose to rub one guys belly as he blew by him and ignore the other two.

19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I wasn't a good lineman at all, but that is still depressing.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That play is exactly the sort that had me mystified as to what was going on. Surely you just get in someone's way at least. Never heard of a screen run.