Offense/Defense tape study

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Great example of no feet/agility. He was completely out of control.

2. JayVols

Good way of putting it.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They're struggling on the combos on zone blocking. Hell BOB blocking right now would be an improvement

4. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

If this OL does not get their shit together,Va Tech D is going to eat this offense alive. Va Tech's db's hit like mack trucks. Keep an eye on Adonis Alexander (did not play against Liberty). He is a beast.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

Later in that drive......

[video=youtube;pzPHwDejR2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzPHwDejR2I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

6. JayVols

He was actually going too hard on that one. No foot control.

I'll also add that the App State lineman did a helluva job recognizing the trap block there. I teach 3 reads to my DLine in a progression: On, Down, Trap.

1. On- Look for the guy you're lined up on to block you. If not, then...
    2. Down- You don't get an "On" block, so expect the guy lined up to your outside to "Down" block you. You're getting an off tackle to outside run on your side when a DT gets a Down block. If no "Down", then...
    3. Get your eyes inside and expect a trap block coming from the opposite side of the formation. I teach the DTs to "wrong arm" a trap. Typically you teach your defensive players, particularly your LBs, to scrape at mirror angles with the RB keeping your outside arm "clean", that is to say, play across the face of blockers and don't let them seal you off by getting to your outside arm. It's not as important with DTs as LBs. If a DT will step inside with his outside foot while dipping and ripping with his outside arm/shoulder (thus "wrong arm"), he can get across the face of the pulling OL trying to kick him out letting the trap bust inside that block. If the DT gets across the face, he's in the RBs face. At the very least, wrong arming can stalemate the pulling OL and plugging up the trap hole.

In this case, the App State DT just put the brakes on stopping his penetration at the LoS. The worst thing a DT can do on a trap is over-penetrate. If he gets too far upfield, he runs himself out of the play allowing the OL to proceed on to the 2nd level (LBs). You don't even have to block him. Same applies to DEs when they are getting a kick-out block by an OL or FB/HBack. To play a trap or kick out, you've got to recognize it quickly and squat in the hole. That's the purpose of the "On, Down, Trap" progression. Most of the time, you'll sense this by feel instead of sight. Anyway, the DT was agile enough to come to a dead stop and let the OL fly by and was standing in the hole when the RB arrived.

That OL reminded me of Wiley Coyote going hell bent for leather after the Roadrunner, overshooting him, trying to come to a hopping stop only to find that he had just ran over a cliff. It's pretty funny when you think of it that way. In reality, it's pitiful that he was so out of control. But again, I'll give the DT some props for sniffing that out as fast as I've ever seen it and doing what he's been taught. Good play by the DT. Terrible discipline and execution by the OL.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. JayVols

By the way guys, I live to break this type stuff down. I don't have time to go play by play, but if you ever want a washed up, crippled old D Coordinator's take on something. Post the video of the play & I'll do my very best to get to it as quickly as possible.

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

After exhausting all my football knowledge, I've determined this to be the second quarter.

Seems like a good philosophy for these linemen would be that if you can't make a hole, at least get out of the way. Then again, the play may have been designed to go the other direction.

[video=youtube;rH-kO61Anqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-kO61Anqo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thanks jay. This the best thread on the forum.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And our Center blocked the MLB right into the running hole (or lack there of).

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm on my phone and didn't watch but is this the one where Weismann was pulling? I was lik to g tangy one out earlier after I watched some of the game on slow-mo. He looked horrible.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Roberson had a bad missed block as well on that drive.

13. NorrisAlan

Someone please tell me what our right tackle (63) is doing on this play? He basically seems to ride his guy right into Hurd. What should he be doing there?

14. JayVols

That's just terrible. There's no way....NO WAY...that even a slanting backside player should be able to get across the face of an OL like that. Like one of my old coaches, Curtis Mawk, used to say, "Play and the count, men! Play and the count!" The backside OT knows he's going to scoop block. All he has to do is step inside lock hands on and turn his ass to the play. DE finished. That's just being lazy as whale shit.

Schematically, it might be a good idea to get your lazy OL's hand down on the ground, so he can get a quick start. It's stupid to be in a 2 point stance with your outside foot dropped waaaaay back like you're going into pass pro. The time it takes to do the gather step with that outside foot is what kills the OT's opportunity to work inside and simply turn out. This is a prime example of a very minor detail messing up the entire design of a play when your staff is trying to be too cute with subterfuge and mind games. Shit like this is what happens when you don't know shit from shinola. This is just pure idiocy from a schematic point of view. And I thought I couldn't think less of this joke of an offensive staff, but I was wrong. Damn, I hate these jakelegs. They're idiots.

15. JayVols

See my previous post.

16. NorrisAlan

And if I, a complete boob of a football fan who only played two hand touch in the yard with his neighborhood kids as a 10 year old, can see this...

17. JayVols

You're more qualified than Butch, apparently.

I'm kind of at a loss for words. That's what happens, when "Cute" is your offensive philosophy.

18. JayVols

Go back and look at his outside foot and how long it takes him to get his weight going forward just to be able to take a step. That technique had him beat before the ever snapped the ball. The DE already had his head across before our guy started a step. SMH

That stance is designed to shuffle back in pass pro to catch edge rushers, not to fire off the ball on a run play. If you're determined to go 2 point on some runs, bring the dang outside foot up to give your guy a chance.

Edit:

After watching that a few times, that's all on the play design and lack of attention to detail. I offer my apologies to the player. That's all on the staff.

19. NorrisAlan

That was the first thing I noticed. It is like Jones thinks he is going to outsmart the other team. "We are going to make it LOOK like we are going to pass, but we are going to RUN the ball!" never mind he probably never ever passes when Dobbs is under center, but hey, that shouldn't matter. They LOOK like they are going to pass!

20. JayVols

Haha. I thought the same thing with Dobbs under center.