Social Injustice

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 9, 2016.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Also, which person was innocent of any crime, not posing a threat, and shot? What happened to the cop?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A tough find or not, isn't this the exact claim that BLM is making? And as such, doesn't that place the burden of proving that claim on them? And if they cannot prove that claim, and no one here has given even a single example of where this has been proven to occur, we should just accept that they're right, even absent proof?

Seems a curious way to achieve a reasonable end.

3. Tenacious D

Is this a song lyric? Is it rap? Americana?

I'd love to hear more of this sophomorically passive-aggressive silliness.

Come on, what's the bridge?

4. Tenacious D

Apropo.

5. Tenacious D

Fair.

Completely assumed on my part.

Are there any statistics that show what the crime rates are in black neighborhoods?

6. Tenacious D

In my mindless stumbling through this thread, I've forgotten what it was we were debating.

Can anyone offer a summary?

I've got "law enforcement is racist", "the criminal justice system is racist", "BLM is to be believed, even absent any evidence (because that's the new way that things now work)", but what else am I missing? Surely there's more.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nope, you've got it. Every one of those things have been directly stated or heavily implied.

8. fl0at_

Must be one of those things just taken on faith.

9. Tenacious D

I think we're set.

Proceed.

10. Tenacious D

As long as the same allowances are made for future opinions on Trump and God, I've got no beef with people believing anything.

As long as that is where it squarely remains - as a stated belief. Not upper case "T" True, but lower case (and italicized) "t" truth.

11. fl0at_

Yes, if you cannot see the complete and absolute rediculousness of requiring that racism be admitted to but not be punished, as the only evidence of racism, you should expect exactly the same stupidity regarding Trump, God and anything else. And often.

Because the guy that was punished for racism, was racist. And could have done other racist things, that are both not subject to review due to statute of limitations, or simply no standing in court.

So yes. Let's look at it as "truth." Because I don't see True ever gracing our conversation.

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

*Apropos*

13. Tenacious D

You've joined BLM's claim that systemic racism is primarily, if not singularly, to blame for a comparitively higher percentage of incarceration and violent encounters with law enforcement by blacks, than other races.

I've merely asked you to prove that claim, even understanding its difficulties. I'm sorry that it's proven to be a difficult task, but it is a fantastical claim, and quite rightfully, warrants similarly fantastic evidence.

I've yet to be satisfied, but understand that some have a lower threshold than I, and may choose to ignore any other and equally plausible possibilities, be they exclusive or concurrent to racism, alone. It's certainly an easier and more comfortable path to simply believe, so you've got that going, if little else.

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There is nothing you would accept as proof.

15. Tenacious D

Not true. I'm really just trying to keep up with such a dizzying array of statistics and logic, being the simple-minded country folk as I am.

In the interim, between here and being certain, I'm just kooky enough to think it imprudent and unfair to paint the world with the racist brush, absent necessary evidence.

16. fl0at_

You have done nothing but misrepresent my position, and anyone else's who disagree with you. You misrepresent the positions, the arguments and the posts, all without reading any. You do nothing more than answer your own biased questions with your own biased opinions.

I have not stated racism is primarily, singularly or otherwise to blame for violent encounters with law enforcement.

You have not asked to prove any claim. You asked to provided examples where racism went unpunished, not evidence of racism. These are two differing things.

But it doesn't matter, because I quit. I'm done. I'd rather be kicked in the balls, while attending a soccer match in Canada, during a cold blizzard than have another conversation be completely misrepresented and manipulate by Tenacious D. Congrats, I'm broken.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are literally hundreds of incidents where the only evidence is what the officer claims happened, often contradicted by other witnesses and some physical evidence contradictions. We'll set those aside.

These people were innocent, shot to death by cops, and no charges were filed in 2015:

Bettie Jones in Chicago, India Kager in Virginia Beach, Felix Kumi in New York, Samuel Debose in Cincinnati (a crime was alleged, but was disproved beyond a shadow of a doubt by camera footage), Spencer McCain in Maryland, Frank Shepherd III of Houston.

That's not including folks that were killed via vehicle, strangled, etc.

There was the guy in Chicago this summer that was shot by a cop when he reached into his glove box to get his license and registration, after being told to do so, after also informing him that he was legally carrying a firearm there. The aftermath is on video.

Remember the mental healthcare worker (Charles Kinsey?) who was shot this summer while lying on his back with his arms extended, trying to calm down his patient and having explained the situation to police? He didn't die, but guess what: no charges.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Has knox Co. schools formally unveiled their program where black kids aren't going to be punished as much for getting in trouble because it's not their fault, yet?

19. Tenacious D

FLM a'coming.

Which of your points did I misrepresent? What biased question have I asked, or provided a similarly biased answer to?

Wouldn't unpunished racism...be a sign of just the sort of systemically rampant racism which BLM shouts to suggest? I was trying to help you. I expected the landscape to be littered with examples of it, but other than Furman (which was easily explained), not a single person could offer a single example of it.

Sorry I broke you, and look forward to your response.

Come on out and play.

20. Tenacious D

I'm reading each one of these, IP. Give me a bit.