Social Injustice

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 9, 2016.

1. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

You not going to tell him, float? If a man asks about Nine Inch Nails, you've gotta tell him about Nine Inch Nails.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Well, damn. Those weren't the ones they were rioting about. I always wondered why people didn't choose actual incidents of police misconduct instead of invented and misrepresented instances upon which to make their case.

What happened in those cases, anyway? Did Boss Hogg just spit and say, "Well, they was black. Ain't too bad if you kill them kind," and dismiss them all?

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...lin-kaepernicks-protest?ex_cid=espnapi_public

How freaking moronic. Doesn't he know that complete dismissal is what all the smart people are doing?

4. cotton

Look here:

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

My guess is that IP has done exactly the same research as you will have just by reading the page--that is, a listing of police shootings compiled by a source nobody has ever heard of designed to prove a point to people who don't actually investigate it. However, let's take a quick look at his examples, taking them at face value:

Bettie Jones: Chicago police shot Bettie Jones in the neck "accidentally" while trying to help a neighbor deal with a domestic disturbance involving his son, Quintonio Legrier. The neighbor said he called police when his son tried to break his door down early in the morning, and that Jones was shot when she opened the door to direct officers when they arrived.

India Kager: India Kager was in a vehicle with her 4 month-old baby and Angelo Perry, who was being followed by unmarked police vehicles. When India parked at a 7-Eleven, the officers also parked and approached the car. Officers claim Angelo shot at them before they shot over thirty times at the vehicle. Angelo and India were killed, while the baby was unharmed. Kager's mother disputes the police narrative.

Felix Kumi: was an innocent bystander during a sting operation. He was shot by an undercover NYPD officer while allegedly standing near a suspect.

Samuel Debose: University of Cincinnati Officer Ray Tensing has been charged with murder for killing Samuel.

Spencer McCain: Police responding to a domestic call early Thursday entered a condominium after hearing arguing inside and fatally shot McCain, claiming they believed he had a gun. McCain was later revealed to be unarmed

Frank Shepherd: Police tried to initiate a traffic stop due to "suspicious activity." Frank, 41, got out of the vehicle and then appeared to reach back into the vehicle when the two officers fired on him and killed him

Does this show systemic disregard for black lives by law enforcement?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would systematic disregard look like, for you?

6. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Reports and Centers for Disease Control and found that an average of 4,472 black men were killed by other black men annually between Jan. 1, 2009, and Dec. 31, 2012. What can be done to reduce the black on black crime?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

8. cotton

It would probably not look like the small handful of cases you used to exemplify it. Do you think what you posted supports systemic disregard?

9. cotton

Out of the "literally hundreds" of cases that demonstrate systematic disregard, you chose 1. a case of bad aim; 2. a case where the police say the suspect shot first but her mother disputes; 3. two cases, one violent, where police believed the suspect had a gun but were wrong; 4. some sort of **** up during a violent domestic disturbance; and 5. a case that has the shooting officer on trial for murder. You are convinced that these show bad acts by law enforcement after reading the two sentence summary on a website, but you have insufficient information to make any conclusion on the Michael Brown and Freddie Gray cases.

Is that a fair summary?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You asked a very specific question, and I tried to answer it. Now you're framing the entire issue as resting on your specific question? There are many cases in which deadly force were not justified.

11. NashVol11

Long is saying primarily that he understands and finds truth in the concerns, while also saying that he would express them differently.

The people you're talking about seem to be saying primarily that his method of expression is wrong, while only addressing his concerns by saying that he's stupid for having them.

I personally don't think those line up very close to each other.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think that's what a lot of people are saying, even Dabo before he went off the rails in his press conference the other day.

13. NashVol11

I'm glad people think that, but I haven't seen it often here. BPV thinks that calling it anything less than absurd is moronic. Not exactly understanding and finding truth in his concerns

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I caught a ton of grief for saying his ass needs to stand and never even mentioned his cause.

15. cotton

I agree they exist, although I find it odd that you could not find a single example, much less one that passed without consequence. Are they the result of racist cops? Racist justice system? Racist America?

You should educate yourself on these issues. It is clear you do not know what you are talking about.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I couldn't find a single example? That's not the way I see it. I think you set a higher than necessary standard and now must pretend I didn't tell with a list of people who filled it.

17. cotton

So you believe the examples you listed indicate racial injustice systemic in our law enforcement?

What higher than necessary standard did I set, for your evidence to match your conclusions?

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I agree. But aren't we grouping people on the basis of their melanin in this thread?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe you asked a very specific question and I answered it. I do not believe that my list of examples in themselves indicate anything, nor do I think an innocent person being shot by LE is required for there to be racial injustice within law enforcement. I was just being cool and answering your question in good faith rather than dismissing it as the deflection it now seems it was.

We are not communicating effectively. The cases I posted are not evidence of "my" "conclusions," they're the examples you asked about the existence of. People without weapons and not being violent being shot in the back by LE is just as valid of evidence of a systemic problem as "innocent people" you asked for. There are many ways in which it seems minority lives do not hold the same value (or fear of repercussion for taking?), all things being equal. Such a circumstance does not require an overtly racist cop, or even a non-black cop. It's more than a problem of a handful of racists working in a particular field. And the idea that any wrong-doing past or present makes lethal force excusable is clearly unfair. Social justice is something I am not an expert on. The only formal way I have encountered it as a topic as environmental social justice, which is pretty different than these LE issues.

Social justice/BLM/whatever is something I am unwilling to dismiss based on what we know, what I've seen indirectly, and even what I have heard and seen personally. The older I get, the more I am aware of it. It's a thing of degrees. So much of it can be rationalized if looked at individually, but zooming out and looking at these many things in context with one another, it becomes clear there is a problem and it should be acknowledged and addressed, imo.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the issue is that people are allegedly being treated differently due to the level of melanin associated with their ancestry. In this thread, people have attempted to explain this alleged treatment as having to do with traits that are allegedly more often coincident in people with more melanin. And that's what Float is objecting to, as there is no causative reason for melanin alone to be related to various social/emotional traits.