A question for the health freaks

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I've got a combo exercise that I thought of last week and will try this week. It may kill me, but hopefully will just leave me really winded.

[X] number of burpees done underneath a pull-up bar. On the last burpee you jump and grab the pull-up bar. Proceed to do pull-ups to failure. Remain hanging and do straight leg lift or knees lifts (either a set amount or to failure. my hands will likely give way before I'm unable to continue with the leg lifts, but we'll see).

Repeat three times.

2. kidbourbon

I've thought about doing overhead lunges. But with the weight on a barbell, it seems like it would be an awkward balance. But it will be a much less awkward balance doing them with a plate instead.

So, good tip. I will try these on for size.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I already do all the stuff mentioned in the last page. The ab work is what i do on top of all that. I do overhead squats a lot, regular squats, thrusters, overhead lunges, cleans, dead lift, all of it. We are actually maxing this week. I'm hoping to max at 250 on bench, 375 on squat, 205 on clean (my worst lift), and im not really sure about snatch yet. we just started doing snatch recently.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

we do something similar. burpee pull ups. they're good because people of all sizes can do them. Burpee under a pull up bar, and when you go into your jump at the end of the burpee, grab on to the bar and do a pull up. Then go back down into a burpee and repeat for 15-25 reps.

Another killer combo we do is called dumbell man makers. you get 25s, do three push ups using them as your base, but in between each push up, you do a single arm row with each dumbell. after you have finished the three push ups you do a clean and jerk motion with the dumbells. then repeat for 12 reps.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sounds like you exercise quite a bit. have you actually measured your calorie intake? you can eat mcdonalds every day if you work out all the time. how long have you quadrupled your calories for and seen no effect? i bet it wasn't over a couple of months.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was this directed at KB?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. sorry. should have quoted.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

RIP kid, that circuit looks killer.

9. kidbourbon

I have never measured calorie intake.

10. kidbourbon

I've done the push-ups / arm row combo. I have never added that third step. Interesting.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It isn't important to do if you aren't trying to get bigger or smaller. I did it for a week or so just out of curiosity. It actually would take about two minutes out of your day if you download a free app.

12. kidbourbon

I've never once done snatch. I don't think I ever will. I just don't like the looks of it.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Same. I just imagine an arm snapping, especially since I broke both bones in half back in HS.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of the snatch and I'd never do it if I worked out at a public gym.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

snatch is interesting. the form is hard to get down, but once you get it, the lift gets easier and easier to go up in weight.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

we do burpee pullups regularly. Usually some sort of combo including burpee pullups, lifted push ups, Iron Mikes (walking lunges), crunches and sometimes a sprint. They can knock you out in a hurry. Last week we even added inverted planks to the combo.

I've done kettlebell lunges in each hand, but never overhead. Sounds interesting. Two weeks we did .6 miles straight of lunges (no added weight). I was ready to die right then and there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That sounds like the most horrible thing in the world.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Our PT Instructor ran us for almost a mile then stopped and said "Good news, we only have just over half a mile left of PT then we're done." We all knew we were royally screwed.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I wouldn't be able to walk for about a week assuming I could come close to finishing that.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Too easy of a joke imo jmo iyam