From Volnation

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Oct 15, 2016.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I honestly think half of our fans do not pay attention to the rest of the football world, and don't know that most coaches have it rolling in year 2 or 3 if they are ever going to get it rolling. They should have to pass some kind of general football knowledge exam to post on the internet.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Most coaches don't have to put up with our negative fans. It's a miracle we win any games at all with you guys.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My brother's FIL can't explain the difference between a pro-style and dual-threat QB or a pro-style vs spread offense.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think a sizable portion of viewers think spread just means you pass a lot.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not trying to sound all superior or anything, but I'd say a significant number of football fans have absolutely no clue about the intricacies of the sport. They know only what they hear, yet despite their ignorance, they are 100% convinced they know what they are talking about. They don't have a clue about technique, strategy or the implementation of coaching that will best serve those things. I bet 98% of fans couldn't tell the difference between a straight cover 3 and a rolling sky/cloud cover 3 much less which players are involved and what they should do. Yet, they'll tell folks who know these things and when to use them that they are idiots and they just don't understand the game.

Again, not trying to be an ass, but it's kind of like a carpenter telling a diagnostician that they know more about diagnosing disease because they've watched every episode of House, MD 1,000 times.

6. JayVols

Yep. These folks look at me like I have an elbow growing out of my forehead when I tell them that the spread is designed with the run in mind & that it's a modern version of the option offense.

They confuse spread with run and shoot, with the emphasis on the shoot part.

7. NorrisAlan

I know I couldn't tell you what a cover 3 is (except in the case of NYY's Cover 3, but that is a different topic).

I would like to THINK I have enough general knowledge to at least know that a coach sucks or not after 4 years, unlike apparently 60% of our fanbase.

And not calling you an ass for what you said, either. Just stressing the general vs the very coaching specific aspects of the game.

8. JayVols

I understand what you're saying.

My point is that when specific flaws are pointed out using examples of actual situational screw ups & what those are, they still think they know more. Or they revert to, "He's the coach at UT, so naturally he's always right. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be at UT."

They just can't accept that an idiot is in charge at their school.

9. JayVols

I can explain what a cover 3 is and how it's different from a rolling cover 3, when a rolling cover 3 must be used and what a sky and cloud call are if you want. But I won't bore you unless you want.

10. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You're completely right but there's a flip side of that where people who've played and coached football are still morons despite the fact that they should know better. One of my Dad's best friends played at UT and still doesn't get that Butch is a spectacularly bad coach. Same with a close friend who played football all his life and was all state, leader of state champ team, etc.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cover 3 is when you kick it into the endzone, rolling cover 3 is a squib kick, and sky is onsides.

13. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Come on now...I think we ALL know what the difference is between a dual-threat QB and pro-style QB.

14. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Solid

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Originally posted by madbamahater:

"Congrats to the Vols for finishing the final college football top 25 standings 2 years in a row! Settling at or around the top 22 in AP and Playoff rankings!

When was the last time a Vols football squad had 2 consecutive top 25 finishes?

Still doesn't take the burn away from the USCjr and Vandie loses. But the big bowl win capped of a relatively successful season.

***I had this team finishing with 8/9 total wins for 2016/bowl***

Anyone who actually believed this team was an SEC Champ caliber team and Playoff team was just hittin the pipe......"

Title of the thread: 2-Top 25 final rankings in a row!!!!!

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I seriously think this was Botch posting

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I love this thread. on another note, on the cal board multiple "insider" posters have said hiring chip Kelly would be idiotic and we should hire our current OC as head coach.

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

We need a f'n trophy for that

20. NorrisAlan

What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously. That is on par with our idiots.