Washington DC

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by KingWebbsticles, Mar 6, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It's a little bit out of the way from a lot of the downtown stuff you'll likely be doing, but if you have a car, I would recommend at least driving by the National Cathedral. It's pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

2. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I could see why you'd not like Georgetown but like Adams Morgan instead. I'm the opposite. We do, however, agree on U Street Corridor. It used to be ghetto as hell, but now has grown up a lot. I forget the name, but there's some kind of "speak easy" that I had a good time at the last time I was there.

BTW, Jaleo is my favorite. When I worked on the hill, I would jet over there on a regular basis for lunch and get their mussels. Very authentic too. Met a few women there on business from Spain.

King, if you're there over the weekend, I like Market Lunch's crab benedict at the Eastern Market. Their crabcake sandwich at lunch is also great.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Old Ebbitt is classic. It might not be the best crabcake in the city, but its good and the atmosphere makes it worth it. I like sitting at the bar in the back.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I enjoy these threads that draw on the collective experiences of the board. My Boston one was a good time for me. I'm heading back there a couple more times for work this year. Got a few more work destinations I'll probably start one for as the time gets closer.

5. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Great stuff, guys.

Keep the info coming, especially with regards to restaurants.

6. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I've always like Zaytinya. It's a Mediterranean restaurant that does small-plates. Great value, IMO.

7. kidbourbon

It's like an Elvis/Beatles thing. You're either a Georgetown guy or an Adams Morgan guy.

8. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I appreciate both. It also depends on who/what your goals for the evening are.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

have to make your way to DuPont Circle

10. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

not sure if serious......

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

for some, yes. For most, no.

12. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I've walked to the cathedral form the metro stop, to Georgetown from Foggy Bottom, to Adams Morgan from the metro there, etc., etc. So, you CAN do DC without a car...but I would recommend a car/cab for most of these.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've biked most of the city. Pretty easy to do if you have the time and just doing the tourist thing.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

You lift excessive amounts of weights, I walk an excessive amount of distance.

I walked to Adams Morgan from Dupont Circle. Is that crazy?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have to admit I walk EVERYWHERE in larger cities. The only thing that kept me from walking everywhere growing up out in the sticks were neighbors that would shoot first and ask questions later. Got shot at and then waved hi to 10 seconds later once by a neighbor. I wasn't even on his side of the property line.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

IP - I made the same walk from Dupont to Adams Morgan. That is a long walk. I didn't know i was doing it at the time. A friend said she wanted to go to a bar north of Dupont Circle. Well...it was certainly north of the circle....

18. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

If u go to eastern market (go!!!!) then stroll on down to Ted's Bulletin. Homemade pop tarts and everyone in our party was more than satisfied with our meal. Great spot for a late brunch.

19. kidbourbon

Not insane. I've done it once or twice. It's actually a shorter walk than it is from the Adam's Metro station to Adam's Morgan. They should really rename that metro stop. That's a mistake I only made once. Although I was new to the area, so it could have been that I just took a circuitous walking route and it actually isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be. But why would I have done that? I don't usually go full retard. Perhaps the problem was that I stopped by the zoo on the way to Adam's Morgan and met a giant fish and [uck fay]ed it's brains out after eating some chicken strips and then chopping my balls off. Sometimes I roll like a boss. Do they even have fish at that zoo? Never been.

20. kidbourbon

There are sizable portions of DC where walking just simply wouldn't be an option, even if you like to walk. Like if you are in Georgetown, the closest Metro is either Foggy Bottom if you're at the east end of Georgetown. Or across the river to Rosslyn if you're closer to the campus itself. But if you want to go further up northwest like to, say, American University....forget about it. That's the point where you start hailing cabs.

So that's why I say you need a car. There are other examples like that because the metro flares out like spokes on a bike wheel...and so the public transportation pickings can be pretty slim in spots. I know one girl that doesn't have a car, but she just bums her boyfriends. I used to bang her roommate and once snuck into her room to snag some rubs because i was fresh out and my girl at the time woudln't let me raw dog it. Which is a damn shame. She is fat, btw. No no, not the girl I was dating. The roommate who I stole the rubs from. She resembles a gremlin. I feel sorry for her boyfriend. Decent guy. Should have done better for himself. Did he marry that gremlin-looking girl? I'll have to check into this.