UT currently #7 in 2018 recruiting

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by dc4utvols, Jun 21, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

[​IMG]

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hoke and Wells are kicking ass recruiting

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

This plus another great year instate, which will continue to rise.

I don't think the draft hurt either.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Well I hate to say it but I hope whatever it takes for Currie to pull the trigger on Butch happens. If they can make the transition and have a top class that would be huge.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

6. RockyHill

lol I wouldn't think it's that simple, but kudos to the programs ATM men if they've really opened things up.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Everyone always picks on little brother.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

8. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

It was never "hard" to recruit at Tennessee unlike what some people believe.
    We weren't quite the level of Nebraska but we had a national reach that few could match through the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

And now that such national reach has been equalized with constant coverage and the ability to watch every game played we are benfitting from the rise of middle Tennessee talent, and to a lesser extent the decline of Memphis - which increasingly seemed to be hostile to Tennessee, or at least less positive.

It always helps in the Atlanta metro for UGA to be down a little.

Point is: outside of that one massive class full of legacies I don;t think Butch has done a great job of recruiting. i think it is more a return to the mean after teh end of Fulmer and the Dooley years. Which he should get some credit for, but lets not go overboard.

9. chavisut

'15 class better on paper

'14 class had legacies but they aren't really the impact guys from that class. Legacies are overstated IMHO

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

McElwain might have his QB but our run game doesn't look any better and our defense isn't any better. He's not leagues better than any of the other coaches in the East and his staff isn't that great, either. He does at least know how to gameplan somewhat offensively. I think a better one would be Bielema. I think he would be +3 wins over each year compared to Butch if he was here.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It's ****ing June. Nobody has played yet and the top guys haven't committed. That rating will tank throughout the season.

12. chavisut

10 of 23 5 stars already committed. Early commitments are becoming much more common. For instance, 11 of top 15 instate already committed.

It might tank but not because it isn't going well now.

Seriously, it is alright to admit something is going okay.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  13. RockyHill

Like I said, I don't follow recruiting, but I did not get the impression that our supposed success in recruiting was due to getting a bunch of 3 stars.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bama must be telling their 13 guys to wait until signing day.

15. chavisut

Haha they are having a slow start but will undoubtedly end up top 2-3.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban drafts while others recruit is how a high school coach explained it to me.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, why load up in the summer when there is still another season of HS football to play. Then, in December, say "You are coming to bama" and hang up the phone.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, Butch sucks, but he's doing pretty good recruiting wise right now.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's not far from how he talks to high school recruits.

"Do you want a great education and a chance to play for titles? Okay, come to Alabama."

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He going to help them enroll in correspondence courses or something?