True Confessions: I don't care about spring practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 27, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He may not let us watch it, but we're going to try.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The Spring game before the 98 season was a disaster. I don't think Tee Martin threw a touchdown in the game.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just get there early and sit in the shade. Too soon for a baby suntan.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The offense doing well really doesn't mean anything anyway, as the defense is so absurdly vanilla. In real scrimmages the defense almost always dominates. Only year I've ever heard of that being different was the year Colquitt was the starter at QB. Doh!

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

[uck fay] me, I am always so hopeful. I find myself daydreaming of a miraculously improved offensive line and a stingy D.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No excuse for the OL this year.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The OL SHOULD be dominant. They have all the pieces and the seasoning.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, football is better than no football I suppose.

However, I do have flashbacks to high school football spring practice....actually in February.....when it was 20 degrees outside and we froze to death.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We always had it April.

Spring practice was fun because there was no conditioning, just two hours of beating the hell out of each other.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'm one of those rare types that enjoyed practice.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm not less interested this year than others. Just don't care that much in general. I guess my mentality is that I hope they're doing some good things, and we'll find out in September.

The exception was when my sister was a Neyland scholar. They get presented at halftime, so we sat in the skybox and went to the Quarterback Club lunch at the Foundry those years. Thoroughly enjoyed hearing Gene Stallings when he won the Neyland award. Sat by John Gagliardi in the skybox the year he won it. Good times.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I enjoyed all but the gassers

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The spring game in 01 was defense dominant to the point we actually thought Corey Brewster was a serious contender at RB.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

30 degrees, freezing, 3 hours a day.

The coldest I have ever been in my life was a spring practice scrimmage game going into my soph year.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Generally haven't kept up with the daily reports of Spring Practice through the years, and like others maybe even less interested than usual this year. Still try and make it to the O&W Game if I can, and this year will be no different on that front.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Isn't it sad that the majority of intelligent fans know this year is doomed to the shitter...

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

About the only thing I see saving it is Bray having a legit Heisman campaign-type season and absolutely no injuries to the OL or WRs and even then it's a 9 or so win season.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Even with that perfect scenario, Dooley's incompetence is the wildcard which guarantees that team still underachieves.

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I just hope Kentucky doesn't throw another wide receiver out there at quarterback again this year.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The hope I have is Maggit and Johnson become shades of Wilson/Raynoch and Brian Randolph becomes a poor man's Eric Berry. Oh, and the light goes on for Rajon Neal.