Hurd Gone

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Oct 30, 2016.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay any mind to being objectively incorrect on every conceivable level. Because, you know, you weren't the only one who may have said it. Champions of life all around, I say.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The point of the comment was the encouragement of you leaving.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Going to the NFL. I'm shocked.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

The plan all along

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let that speak to how much he didn't want to play for Butch. Not even to finish the season.

6. kidbourbon

7. kidbourbon

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’ll preface by saying I think Kamara is killing it this year and am happy to see him finding so much success in the NFL.

But you missed the point the first time around, and you’re still missing it.

Why is Kamara so successful this year? Because he is in an offensive system that plays to his SKILL SET and highlights his STRENGTHS, rather than forcing him to do things he’s not good at.

They’re not asking him to carry the ball 30 times per game because he wouldn’t be successful doing that. Hell, the most carries he’s had in a single game all season has been 12, and he’s only had double digit carries in 3 games all season. They let Ingram take on the bulk of the carries and they use Kamara strategically to get him the ball in space, where he’s dangerous. That’s what he’s good at, and they play to his strengths.

Hurd did NOT have that luxury at UT. He played in a system that did match his running style, making it impossible to reach his full potential. And despite that, he STILL would have finished his career here as our all time leading rusher, had he stayed.

Look, I’m not taking anything away from Kamara and what he’s been able to accomplish, but the point all along has been that playing in the right system matters. Kamara has been incredibly fortunate to land in the scheme he’s in, and it’s allowing him to shine.

It’s the same scheme that’s helping Ingram log the best season he’s ever had in his 8 year NFL career.

TangoUniform likes this.
  9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Yep they ran Kamara up the middle and Hurd wide. Out thought themselves frequently. It would have been nice to have a couple of plays a game where Hurd played FB for Kamara out of the I. Also imagine running that GT offense for a series or two in a game with Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They put Hurd at FB with Kamara running behind him I think only one time. Gained like 14 yards, so of course we never did it again.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am in the process of purging the last 8 years out of my head, and you dumb shits keep bringing this crap up.

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Hurd should sue Butch for his eventual case of CTE

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hard to judge anyone under the idiots they played under. Hurd and Kamara should have been 1k yards per season apiece. In the same season.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hurd in an H-back role with kamara at rb... damn.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

GT's system isn't one that you just date. You either marry it and commit to it, or you don't run it at all.

chavisut likes this.
  16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wasn't in the playbook

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Give us an OL coach that could get those 4-5 star guys playing up to their potential, a burner like Josh Malone to go deep every now and then, put Dobbs, Hurd and Kamara in the backfield simultaneously, have Dobbs only pass 15 times a game... win a crap ton of games.

IP likes this.
  18. MWR

MWR Contributor

Or maybe off the charts.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

from hs to college it didn't look like Hurd had great vision to me and for as treadmill fast as he was, he couldn't hit the holes that were there for other rbs getting 6 ypc. I'm sure he would be better in I form, but it doesn't change his lack of vision and feel for cutbacks. Not many teams operate without spread facets to the offense. Every championship team plays most of the game out of the gun

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You are awfully authoritative in tone, yet that doesn't make me feel like you know that much.

I think the guy who was set to be the all-time leading rusher in Tennessee history, who averaged 4.7ypc his first two seasons, and who scored more than 2 dozen TDs behind an underachieving OLine in the dumbest offense in the history of football wasn't that bad.

BigOrangeBeech likes this.