Hurd Gone

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Oct 30, 2016.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I disagree on both.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus IZ and OZ is a cheap install at that level that lets you do a lot of window dressing.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Based on what, for Kamara? One game against a crappy run defense?

Hurd's numbers during his time here despite a shit OL, poor coaching, and an atrocious scheme speak for themselves.

4. kidbourbon

(1) There's an entire thread on this.
    (2) Indeed, 4 ypc speaks for itself.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, 4 ypc does not speak for itself, just as Leonard Fournette's 2.1 ypc against Bama this weekend didn't "speak for itself."

6. kidbourbon

Actually, both clearly do.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And what does Fournette's 2.1 ypc say?

8. kidbourbon

Alabama is good at defense.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. It doesn't speak to his overall abilities as a running back.

Similarly, Hurd's 4 ypc says he played in a scheme that didn't highlight his strengths, dealt with shitty OL play his entire career, And was a victim of constant horrible playcalling.

10. kidbourbon

So, Hurd is a great running back, just not at UT? Okay.

11. juicemane

juicemane Member

i can buy it. Hurd is a power back. Who knows how good he could have been in an offense that was suited for him, but butch's certainly wasn't it.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The kid was on pace to be UT's all time leading rusher. I think he was a great back here.

My point is that if we are making a list of all the reasons Hurd didn't average more than 4 yards per carry, there are at least 5 factors I list that are not under Hurd's control before I get to one that's his fault.

13. kidbourbon

(1)
    Then why do you have to make excuses for him?

(2)
    Your excuses are noted.

14. juicemane

juicemane Member

It helps when you start from day 1.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That you better be able to throw or run option against elite defenses or they'll shut down the run game

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I can think of a few, especially considering several on here have shared that they've had relatives pass away with Down Syndrome. You were probably too busy dreaming of getting Eiffel Towered by Johnny Manziel and Tyler Bray to notice.

17. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Hurd is a good back....but this staff's zeal to keep him has left Kamara and Kelly severely under utilized....and the players know it. In the end, the personnel decisions of this staff baffle me more than the f'd up offensive scheme and the terrible situational play calls.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yep.

Post more.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

One guy in the media (I think perhaps Hyams) was saying one of the promises made to Hurd at the end of last season would be that Kamara would actually share more of the load and keep Hurd from getting beat up so much. Who knows if that's true, just thought it was interesting and putting it out there.

20. kidbourbon

What words would you use?