Pruitt's strategy

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Dec 13, 2017.

1. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I'm a little worried that this staff could just be a recruiting gig. I've seen this song and dance before.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No. These are respected position coaches and coordinators.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If Butch can have us on the cusp of 10-11 win seasons (he should have done it twice) based solely on his 2 or 3 big recruiting classes, just imagine what this staff will be capable of with equal to greater recruiting and actually throw in some coaching.

woodshed likes this.
  4. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Which ones out coach there recruiting.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tracy Rocker at the very least. He hates recruiting, apparently.

He might be the on-field staff that gets pulled from the road to let Austin Thomas do his thing.

6. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I get someone not wanting to recruit, I'd just like on field production. I'm not sure if this staff has that. Sure would be nice if they did.

7. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I think they are recruiters that will string us along into year 4 and then another reboot.

chavisut likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll let them run a spring practice before worrying

9. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

No need to worry if you're looking forward to seeing a spring practice to go all in. All we need to do is win sighing day and the rest of it will take care of it's self.

10. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I see some folks freaking out over Helton/Pruitt letting Pennix (QB) go because he apparently doesn't fit what they want to do. I actually respect that. To many negative nancy's assuming the kid will turn out to be Taj Boyd at Clemson.

Hell Miss St visited a kid that has been a verbal to them for several months last week. A 3* DB. On Monday it was all good at the school. On Tuesday, they showed up at moms work and told her they were short on numbers and needed him to walk-on.....Kid has plenty of legit P5 offers, so that was never gonna happen.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

when?

12. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

This year and last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that... That's "when".

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to hear about the organizational stuff before I get excited. Pruitt will recruit and he'll have a hellacious defense. Can he use all 20 hours he's got making guys better? Who's his S&C coach? What's the offense?

Right now, he's a week into the job. He's hired a pretty damn good staff and he's working his ass off recruiting. Those two things are all he can do right now and he's done them well.

I am cautiously optimistic, especially with the Thomas hiring.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the safe bet.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

With Weinke ‘out’ for Ethan put us at 7/9 filled for now - so 3 more staff by next year? Or at 8/9?

Any more insights on offensive coaching structure?

16. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Penix was really disappointed in not being wanted. Heard Hubbs say last week that Penix really wanted to be here and he kinda thought the new staff like him better than Martinez. Guess the new staff didn't care for either. Sucks for the kids.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think we'll have a formal introduction on the staff until the new year. The tenth coach can be added in January too.

I'm sure recruits know who's coaching what.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It sucks, but Penix has other offers, one from FSU, so he's going to be alright. It's the shitty part of a coaching change, but Pruitt is being honest with them

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So does losing not just 1 but both QB commits within hours mean something to anyone else?

It seems to me the staff has a silent they feel solid about and told the others to walk

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm guessing the intent is to have Sherrer slide to DC/LB and Rumph/Rocker handle the DL.

And I would be okay with that.