This is what you get

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I am not that into Radiohead, and I think they're one of the most overrated bands in recent history. But but but....Karma Police is a mindblowingly good song that I would have no problem putting on repeat for an entire week.

"For a minute there...."

2. kidbourbon

Jesus taylor-swifting Christ, where are you trying to take this argument? Is this really about whether we call CDR good, way above average, great, sub-great, sub-elite, sub-sub-elite, etc.? Because I may just have to shoot myself in the [dadgum] face in about T minus three minutes unless you type in a destination address on the GPS of your current point.

Let me help you out:

Do you think Memphis in 2008 was more talented than the Kansas team that beat them in the final?
    Do you think Memphis in 2008 was more talented than the UCLA that they beat in the semifinal?

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Such an apt comparison, hat. The game is so similar now as when the nearly 80 year old Bill Russell played. Hedging isn't exactly "chasing guys out on the perimeter." So, either you don't know what it is or are trying to grossly exaggerate what it is to make some sort of silly argument, which is wrong. Watch any college team play; the way UK guards ball-screens is not fundamentally sound whether you like it or not. What they're doing is not a "Red Auerbach philosophy." It's lazy defense that works because they have one of the best shot blockers in the last 10 years on the team. I'm really not even sure what your argument is here.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No one gets in foul trouble by simply hedging [uck fay]ing screens. That's just total garbage. And, again, hedging isn't "chasing people around screens." If you're running around a screen, you'd have to be the man being screened. Davis, Jones, or MKG would be hedging, which would be taking about 2 or 3 steps out and stopping dribble penetration. So, again, that's a complete mischaracterization of hedging screens; thus, your attempt at criticizing fails because you apparently don't know what it is.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Shit, I haven't heard Dajuan Wagner's name in forever...

6. kidbourbon

Iowa State guard discusses Kentucky and Kansas. I found this interesting. Unclear whether they're funneling the dribbler into Davis or just bad on screens. But if they are funneling the dribbler, it would work.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think he's spot on. UK's going to extend and pressure the ball handler and let Davis clean up the mess. That is as simple as any defense at any level. Ball screen defense is just not something that bothers them because they can simply just make up for it by blocking your shot at the rim if you turn the corner. Their guards usually go over screens to prevent the ball handler from just shooting the three off the screen. Davis sits back and takes away the roll on the screen and just dares the guy to shoot over him. Works every time for him. My point is that Kansas was able to expose them a little in the second half with just continuous ball screens as they were eventually able to get Davis away from the paint, and when that happened, their lack of fundamental ball screen defense allowed some easy buckets. Again, it obviously did not cost them the game. But, at the same time, things like that keep me from proclaiming that Calipari is some sort of genius x and o guy.

Now, obviously, I'm not some authority on who's good and who's not, so I'm not pretending to be. JZ is a coach, and I'm pretty sure we're on the same page with this. I've talked with several other coaches specifically about UK and I've yet to hear one of them talk about Cal's x and o prowess.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. kidbourbon

I gotta say, though, your explanation of why they go over* the ball screen makes a lot of sense and sounds like a fine defensive strategy. The defender goes over the ball screen to take away the three-ball; this makes it easier for the dribbler to penetrate; but they'll take dribble penetration every single day of the week over the three ball because once the dribbler penetrates he is immediately faced with some less-than-desirable options. Even if he gets a shot off and it isn't blocked he'll hurry it because he is thinking about Davis. And lots of times it will get blocked.

Sure, that's a really basic defensive scheme, but it doesn't sound like a bad one.

*Though not an x's and O's guy, I do understand the difference between going over vs. under a ball screen.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's most definitely effective. It's also very, very, very simple as you noted. None of Cal's teams at Memphis or at UK wow you with their organization and sophistication on defense and offense. They wow you with talent, and like I said before, recruiting is more important than schematics in college ball. And, Calipari is the best by far in that department.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My statement was that the difference in talent between the Memphis and Kansas teams of 08 (or you can use the Memphis and UCLA teams of 08 if it tickles your fancy) was much smaller than the difference in talent between UK and Kansas (or insert pretty much any team of your choosing) this season. The argument about CDR came up when comparing the Memphis players with the Kansas players.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yep. Year zero all over again. Relax fellas; Dools will have us back competeing for a Music City Bowl birth within the next 10-15 years. He needs time. He took over a dumpster fire. We have to be patient. Young, inexperienced, injured, all new staff..... Why won't the rest of you guys support the program like Kpt just did? Bunch of NegaVol bastages......

12. kidbourbon

I understand how the CDR argument came up. But it was lost and was wandering aimlessly on the streets. And I wanted to see it get reunited with its original context.

I have a big heart like that.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm sure your big heart helps you feel better about your inadequacies in other areas.

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

A coach doesn't and really can't be great in all areas, you just have to be special at something and have a system that you believe in and your players will buy in.

When I look for coaching clinics or colleges to go watch practices I've never been too interested in visiting Cal. That's not to say I wouldn't learn x's and o's watching them but like others have said that's not his specialty. It's kind of the same with Roy Williams at UNC. That being said Cal is elite at team building, managing egos, getting guys to buy in and believe in him which are things that are extremely important and could be argued the most important aspect of coaching.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Yet, none of these strategic savants around the country can exploit this lazy defense. Interesting.

16. hatvol96

Yet, Terrennce Jones was on the bench for good portions of two games in the NCAA Tournament for bumping dribblers when he came out and did the "fundamentally sound" thing and hedged a screen. Crazy how these impossibilities keep happening.

17. hatvol96

Why would I give a damn how "any college team" plays? Those other teams don't have three elite shot blockers and they didn't just win the national title.

If conformity with what everyone else does is some sign of fundamental soundness, your listing of Beilein as some sort of strategic master is hilarious. Nobody else of note in the country plays his three point shooting reliant, gimmick defense system.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird thread. Kentucky's defense never looked lazy to me, at all. Far from it. I thought this was one of the more defensive-minded teams that Calipari has had in recent years. In fact, the way they played to their strengths on defense is why I am now led to believe that Calipari is a solid x's and o's coach. I didn't say elite, but certainly competent and capable.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is really hard to snuff out a dumpster fire by piling on more trash.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

completely agree and don't tell me it's easy to get a bunch of 5 star guys to give a shit about defense.