This is what you get

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Again, I'm not sure I understand the x's and o's argument.

Kentucky was a great defensive team. They were #1 in the country in FG % defense. They were #1 in blocked shots. They were 25th in scoring. Whatever x or o they used worked pretty terrificly for the team they had.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Which is precisely my point. To now pretend that Cal is some incredible defensive mind is stupid. He had 3 elite shot blockers that no other team has. That has been my point the entire time.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

He played to that strength... So where is the sub-par x's and o's?

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

To pretend that Beilein is some strategic master because he plays some bullshit gimmick defense is beyond stupid. It's like people watching and claiming to love shitty Merchant Ivory films because critics praise them.

5. hatvol96

You can only be a great X and O coach if you play some garbage, esoteric defense that leads to you spending most of your career finishing in the middle of your conference.

6. hatvol96

Didn't you hear? It's not "fundamentally sound" to play to your strengths. Everyone should try to play the same style as everyone else. Different is bad. Cal should play the same defense with Anthony Davis on his roster that a coach with a 6'6" center does.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not saying he's a master because of the 1-3-1 but nice try. His offensive system is good, and again, Cal is the better coach without question. It's not even debatable at all. So, again, you're simply changing the argument and totally mischaracterizing what I was saying.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This is really interesting coming from someone that pretends to be in so tight with Popovich, Huggins, Frank Martin, etc. Tell me when they have ever played not played proper ball screen defense. Pretending only teams with 6'6 centers hedge screens is one of the dumbest statements I've read in a while.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Couldn't agree more. He is a johnny and joes guy, nothing more.IMO

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree.

You know that was sarcasm, right? You have to. He sucks and shouldn't have been allowed on the bus for the return trip from Lexington.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Ask your mother how she feels.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I expected better than just a simple mom joke from you.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You think too highly of me. I LOVE simple mom jokes.