Guns

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, Feb 16, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Schools have changed a lot since our days, float. Community involvement and input aren't just buzzwords anymore. They are requirements.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You bear responsibility for things you can control for, not things beyond your control.

And you bear responsibility for following guidelines meant to ensure safety. But that isn’t safety itself.

Meaning if you have an electrical fire, you near responbility for following your fire safety plan. But the faulty wiring isn’t your responsibility.

3. fl0at_

And every parent in the entire school gets veto power?

The fact that X parents sit on the committee and their voice is the same as the Y teachers does not mean that parents have a voice.

It just means THOSE parents have a voice.

4. JayVols

I understand your point, but I'm not sure my supervisors would see it that way.

Not just saying this to look good ar whatever, but I feel a genuine concern for my students. It's the only reason I've not tried for disability. I am there for them. Working with and helping my students are the joys of my job. I honestly give a shit about each one of them. I never leave my classroom except to go to the bathroom or am called out by a boss. I don't want to. The adults (bosses) are what absolutely sucks about my job.

5. JayVols

We don't appoint parents for committees, we seek those that want to be on them, so yes. Every parent has the opportunity to have veto power. If they choose not to be involved, that's on them. The opportunity for them to be heard is there for the taking.

6. fl0at_

I don’t doubt that at all. And I imagine you would feel terrible about anything that happened.

But that is feelings, again.

And it wouldn’t really matter what your supervisors felt, it would matter what the law says.

And the law that would apply today is the same as the one that would apply in a self defense shooting anywhere else that you happen to be carrying.

7. fl0at_

How many spots for parents?

8. JayVols

That, I don't know for sure. We struggle to get 3 on an adoption committee.

9. fl0at_

Suppose you had 100. Would all 100 be welcome?

10. JayVols

Speaking of the law, parents have legal remedies available to them too. Remember the Textbook Trials of the mid '80s? I do. My mom was a teacher at the elementary school where that went down.

Those kids were not made to follow the adopted textbook even before the trials.

11. JayVols

I would tend to say, yes. Won't happen though.

12. fl0at_

And you can pack up and head to a state that doesn’t allow carry, or any of the numerous private schools that would pop up that prevents carry.

There is a difference between impractical and impossible.

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. fl0at_

I’m establishing a truth. If there is no limit, then yes, there is equal opportunity.

If there is a limit, there is only statistical opportunity, which is not equal.

I bet there would be a limit real quick if there were 100 parents who wanted to adopt Calc 2 textbook for 3rd grade math.

14. fl0at_

Let me try a different way to see this, with a corruption question:

What prevents a group of parents from banding together, hacking out a garbage textbook, charging $1200 a book for it, sitting on the committee with enough votes to ensure it becomes the new book, and then splitting the profit?

15. JayVols

Parents have broad rights that have been respected by schools. Since education is mostly local, decisions made tend to reflect community values. Here's a link to a paper written by a UT student, Whitney Bailey, on the textbook trial controversy. I know Whitney and her entire family. Her mother taught with my mom at the time of the trial, and later became the technology supervisor for the county before recently retiring. It's a pdf download.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3uzF3WHJ1IOScQGn2pR5jV

16. JayVols

The law (that's an illegal conspiracy), it must be on the state's approved list and funding limits.

17. JayVols

Ok. What happens when a parent can make a reasonable nexus between the carry policy and their child's intellectual disability (Federal IDEA ACT/PL 94-142) or health impairment (Federal 504 statute for "other health impairments"i ncluding mental & emotional conditions)?

18. JayVols

PL 94-142 calls for "a free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment".

19. fl0at_

So parents don’t have a choice, they just have the illusion of one.

So still no different.

20. fl0at_

Then it goes to the courts to decide, same as everything else.