POLITICS Origins of Racism, Sexism, Other “isms”?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 10, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

IQ is a human construct with inherent biases. It's a tool, not a property. I think we all recognize intelligence is fluid and diverse. When attempts have been made to control for cultural biases, differences shrink. If a Peruvian rancher made an intelligence test, I am guessing Neil DeGrasse Tyson might not do as well as he would on an IQ test.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Racism is the belief that someone is going to behave differently than you, and that the differences can be grouped by race.

Sexism is the belief that someone is going to behave differently than you, and that the differences can be grouped by sex.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds good to me. Ultimately up to her how she goes abut her business.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IP likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

What about a belief in inherent universal properties? Or is that captured in behavior? Not sure.

6. NorrisAlan

Everyone knows NDGT would ace any and all tests that come his way, just on cool factor alone.

7. NorrisAlan

I wish the same for my sons, too. Not saying that DC has claimed this, but since he has not said anything about his sons, I think it is telling. We see boys as being OK to sleep around and screw any woman that comes down the pipe, but if a girl does it, she is a slut and ruining her life.

Stupid.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which relates to the contraceptives angle being a nudge out of that old way of things

9. NorrisAlan

I would argue the last different race of humans died out when the Neanderthal went extinct. And we believe we even interbred with them.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There are inherent universal properties. They are typically natural properties, associated with biological function.

It's not sexist to say a given woman may menstruate. It is sexist to say a woman may behave differently due to it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

If anyone is wondering how all humans can be so similar, think about blood types. Races have different proportions, and some types may be virtually absent in a race, but yet others have them all.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I didn't phrase that well. I meant like behavioral properties

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Mostly whites, but we almost certainly did because we have some of their genes. And there may be some other human species mixed into other groups.

14. NorrisAlan

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Someone hasn't met my wife.

Also, race is a relatively recent construct and not at all uniform throughout its use or existence. I had to do research on the concept of whiteness for my thesis some 10+ years ago and the evolution was fairly fascinating. Being white as a phenotype often didn't apply to everyone. Even being Irish, Italian or Russian set you aside from being white until, of course, those groups of people were amalgamated into society. Race, as a tool, wasn't even completely present in the initial stages of European conquest and the slave trade until it became expedient to do so and then flourished during slavery, colonialism, etc. Then it became a method of differentiating social caste. The Romans, though, didn't give a shit about race. Anyone not a Roman was a barbarian to them.

16. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Interestingly, the population wasn't proposed as the driving force; rather, possession of property and allocating those possessions to future generations helped solidify a "need" to make sure the heirs were their children, that women behave in ways that wouldn't jeopardize the validity of that status of an heir, which in turn helped create and stabilize social norms we find throughout history.

IP likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

I'm still not sharing my wife with any of you yahoos.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Skin color, facial features, and skeletal differences are the big ones for race. The advantages those afford are typically only valuable in certain environments and as a civilization we've pretty much conquered those to the point that they are negligible.

I think everybody understands the differences between sexes.

Any real advantage to being black or white at this point is based on some value or lack of value society might place on being one or the other. Women have the disadvantage of maybe not being able to do certain important activities when pregnant, but as has been said, that can be very easily controlled today with contraceptives.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Clearly you view her as a possession. Shameful.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are not necessarily any more likely to have more DNA in common with a white man than with a black man.