POLITICS Fun Tax Data!

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Oct 15, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm proposing a flat tax system where all income is treated equally. I thought my position was pretty clear.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That's when it is their responsibility to know this before they get into business and charge properly. Pass the cost on to the consumer.

I would believe if the tax rates were not what they were, a person would not be able to charge what they charge. It isn't like you would then get to keep all that green. It should just be factored as a cost of doing business.

At least that is how I would try to look at it.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Different conversation, but the Nordic system can be (and has been) very successful. The problem is it depends on a populace 'buying in' and fulfilling their role within the system. The system depends on and embraces capitalism, but able bodied citizens must seek and maintain employment. Folks in the Nordic countries largely did just that, however the system began showing cracks when folks started immigrating in to enjoy the benefits without supporting the system via employment. It's a system requiring balance and immigration can create imbalance.

I have several Nordic colleagues who do quite well even with the high taxation. A big part of that is because they do not have separate expenses for education, healthcare, etc. It only works if the majority buy in, though. So definitely not viable here any time soon.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It definitely requires a change of thought by the populace. I just am not sure America will ever be in that place.

gcbvol likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I know very little about Nordic tax systems (other than my research on previous pages), but everyone buying in AND it being ran effectively/efficiently are two major reasons why I could never see it working here.

If someone could prove to me it would work, I'd at minimum consider it. I'm just not sure it ever could here.

justingroves, kmf600 and gcbvol like this.
  6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't understand the disconnect. I have a job and an hourly rate. I multiply my hourly rate by 2080 hours for a yearly income. That's my base pay, I calculate my tax rate based on me working for a full year. I then, over the course of the year, work overtime due to deadlines, needs, opportunities whatever. At the end of the year I also add that amount up. I get pissed that the extra time I worked is less profitable (to me) than the regular time I worked. I completely disagree with it. It's not that my initial salary is 1.25 times or 1.5 times what it is, it's that I worked an additional 25%/50%/whatever and got to take home less money per hour for doing that extra work.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  7. gcbvol

Neither do I. Larger populace and much different mindset.

8. gcbvol

I know I'm duplicating responses, but I agree with you. I find the system fascinating, especially when in balance, but don't ever see it working here.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

They ever talk about abuse of the system there?

Edit, I meant less about people imitating in to abuse the system.

10. gcbvol

Not the folks I know, but I'm sure there is a level of non-immigrant abuse which bothers folks. They have spoken about some of the issues with immigration, though. It's not about being anti-immigrant for them, it's anti-laziness or unwillingness to educate/train themselves for participation in the workforce.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You also get more social security and medicare taken out when you work more overtime. That 300 hours of overtime, which conveniently bumps your tax rate up, which means they keep more of the withholding amount, which means you worked more hours for damn near the same amount of money, in your pocket, than if you had worked 130 hours of overtime. Hypothetically, of course.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're just going in circles. If you don't want to work overtime, don't.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're saying more money in the form of SS, medicare, and tax increase in the new bracket negates what you earn? I.e. 100% of the overtime pay is consumed so you may as well not worked? How could that be?

Or are you saying that you just end up getting paid at your regular rate? which again, seems hard to believe.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you pass a certain threshold of overtime hours weekly, which where I used to work was right at 16 or so hours of overtime, after deductions, I was bringing home less than my hourly wage on those overtime hours. That makes working as much as you can pointless.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why do those increase uncoupled from the total pay, and why on a weekly basis?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You made more money that particular week because you worked 20 hours of overtime. The next week you may only work 11 hours of overtime.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm saying, per week, it becomes pointless to work more than 16 hours of overtime because after that, you start making less than your base pay.

At the end of the year, if you're fortunate enough to make X amount of dollars, you don't see any of your hard earned overtime tax dollars come back via return because you've worked yourself just into a higher bracket. It's a fantastic system.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not following, and I am not trying to be difficult. I've had a lot of jobs and a few with overtime opportunities that paid time and a half. I am unaware of how getting paid time and a half could ever be deducted down to less than your base amount, unless you are calculating this at the end of the year and counting all your withholdings against the overtime.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Working for other people then going out on your own will open your eyes to a lot of things tax related.

MWR likes this.