Track and Field

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Who knows how many responses this will get, but I hope to have a few bites during the World Championships and the buildup for Tokyo 2020.

That said, as I watch the US Championships, I'm really liking the future of the American athletes on the track, particularly on the men's sprint side. I think we might take back that momentum from the Bolt led Jamaican Golden Age. UT's own Christian Coleman may even bring us another 100m title. In fact, I would be surprised if he didn't in a month. There's also guys like Noah Lyles and Michael Norman. Plus, I really, really would like to take down the Jamaicans in the 4x100.

The women sprinters might have a bit of a drop off, although I think this Sha'Carri Richardson will be really good in the next few years. The team is not as good in the 100m and 200m as we have been recently, but the middle distance and hurdlers should be excellent. Watch for newcomer Sydney McLaughlin in the 400h.

Anyway, I'm going to book mark this for the World Championships in two months.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m interested in distance running a bit. Big Mo Farah fam, primarily, thought I do get into it more in the lead up to The Olympics.

Unimane likes this.
  3. Unimane

Farah is amazing. The 5k and 10k double, twice, in the Olympics is one of the great modern track accomplishments. He's coming back to run the 10,000m in Doha, too. As mid-distance guys get older, they tend to go up in distance with losing speed. He's been running marathons since 2017.

4. Unimane

Christian Coleman, UT alum and current fastest man in the world, is facing a year doping ban for missing three tests. He's disputing one of them, but it could mean the favorite for the 100m is out for the World Championships and the 2020 Olympics.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Some good news, kinda I guess -

6. Unimane

Yes, good news. He's, immediately, the 100m favorite for the worlds and Tokyo 2020.

7. CardinalVol

Still seems kind of sketchy as I read how it went down.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Will probably lose by half a second to some no name sprinter from GA St.

9. Unimane

Coleman easily wins his semifinal heat in 9.88 and looks to be the favorite by far in the finals today. British fans [itch bay]ing about his drug testing stuff makes it sweeter.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Tennessee goes 1-2.

11. Unimane

Sprinter U.

12. CardinalVol

Decent day at the office.

13. Unimane

Coleman's time is sixth fastest in history.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. Unimane

The US men are killing it, thus far. 5 gold medals and an excellent shot with sweeping the 100, 200, 400 (Which young phenom Michael Norman is the favorite.) and 800. I've never seen this happen previously. The US men are in a golden age of running.

The women are struggling, a bit. Some untimely injuries haven't helped. I am very interested in seeing the 400 hurdles and a McLaughlin-Muhammad showdown. Last time, the young one pushed Muhammad to a world record.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

17. Unimane

Yes, they are down to the final events, the javelin throw and 1500m run. Williams is in 12th place, right now, but will probably drop after a weak javelin throw, an event he's fairly weak in. He might make up some points in the 1500, but he's had a little bit of a disappointing meet, well below some of his previous efforts. Still, it was his first major international meet at this level, so it was a good experience for him.

Williams is still the most dominant athlete I've seen compete at the state level in Murfreesboro during my 10 years of coaching track in Tennessee.

18. Unimane

The duo we have at the 400 hurdles for women is phenomenal. McGlaughlin will destroy this event for the next ten years, though.

Also, it wouldn't be a major track meet where we didn't [uck fay] up a hand-off in the 4x100.

19. Unimane

The USA finally gets the baton around the track in the 4x100m relay and runs the third fastest time in history, even with a couple of shaky handoffs. If they can ever get the exchanges down pat, they might snatch that Usain Bolt-led WR of the Jamaicans. The US has some serious spring talent.

That makes 9 gold medals for the men and a likely 10th tomorrow in the 4x400m relay. Had Michael Norman and Rai Benjamin not been injured, we might have swept every event in the 800m and below, which is unbelievable. Golden Age for American sprinters.

I'm not sure what's happened with the women, a few injuries have been an issue, but they haven't performed nearly as well as they normally do.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

what did Bolt do, pull a hammy or wasn't going to catch them and pulled up?