Track and Field

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

US trials keep going tonight and I can't help but be excited by this team's potential, as a track guy. Grant Holloway nearly set the 110h world record in the semis (I actually hope he doesn't break it because he's a Gator and the record is held by a former Vol in Aires Merritt). There are about 5-6 legit potential WR opportunities from this group in Tokyo.

2. Unimane

Temperature is 105 in Eugene and I imagine hotter on that track. Just brutal.

Also, the first Vol to make Team USA is Darryl Sullivan in the high jump.

3. Unimane

Sydney McGlaughlin may be the best athlete in this great generation of tracksters. She demolished the 400m hurdles record and is only 21. This generation's Edwin Moses.

And, Athing Mu might be right there with her in the 400-800.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  4. Unimane

My last post until the Olympics on this. JuVaughn Harrison won the long and high jump and will represent the US in both events.

The last guy to do this? Jim Thorpe.

IP likes this.
  5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

21 and already in her second Olympics. Pretty crazy for track

6. Unimane

She's been on the scene since she was about 12 or 13, which is really hard to be the anointed one from such an early age. Ask Tyrese Cooper. I wonder how you keep motivated into your 20s when you've done it all so young. I think she might chase other records in time, like the 100 hurdles or something.

In a similar vein, Erryon Knighton is a 17 year old high school kid who just qualified on the men's side in the 200m. This might be even more impressive than McGlaughlin doing it in 2016 since men develop later than women do.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  7. Unimane

Looks like Sha'Carri Richardson is not going to the Olympics because she tested positive for weed.

That means our top two sprinters are not running in Tokyo because they are dumb as shit and not because they are using performance enhancing drugs. Seriously, stupidest [uck fay]ers ever.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Testing positive for weed means you can't go to the Olympics?

lmao

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ridiculous

utvol0427 likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It might be a stupid rule but it's still a rule and you have to be a moron to try to think you won't get caught.

11. Ssmiff

Yep. Both. Dumb rule from the reefer madness days. Also dumb to get caught since you know you will be tested.
    On another note, people argue its not performance enhancing, but I've known a few people who are more focused and play ball better when toking before a game. Frees their mind up maybe and calms the nerves.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. Stupid rule, stupid to break the stupid rule.

I hope it gets worked out, though. There is nothing performance enhancing about smoking joints when it comes to track.

13. Ssmiff

Used to help when I played billiards. Awful without it. Darts too. And cornhole.

14. Unimane

I would imagine it helps with hot dog eating contests.

CardinalVol, Ssmiff and chavisut like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looks like Congress has formally asked for her to be reinstated, citing that there is no scientific basis for the rule, but rather rooted in systemic racism... We are at a moment in time where something being the rule is no longer self-justifying. There is real scrutiny going on. I like it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Glad they are looking at reinstating, but don't buy the systemic racism angle unless only black athletes have been tested, failed and suspended, and we know that isn't true. However, when you bring racism into it, it's hard for people to argue against it, because of course they are racists if they do, so a smart move to try to try that angle and make it work.

18. Unimane

I think they have a good case on the racism charge with the swimming caps, but the systemic racism on weed is a bit of a stretch. Michael Phelps got a 6 month suspension in 2009 for a picture of him hitting a bong, not even a failed test. Perhaps the racism of the cap issue will take the weed issue over the top, too, or maybe the fact that is a stupid ban will. Of course, the rest of the world might get pissed the American government stepped in and influenced a ruling. This may not be important to us Yanks, but it sure as shit will matter to the IOC.

Ultimately, I hope she runs and they can find a way. We have this meet once every 4 years, sort of, and this match up between Richardson and the Jamaicans was very much anticipated by track folks. I'm sure it would've sold among the stories which invariably develop within the public's consciousness during the Games. Her against Shelly Ann Fraser-Price was a great selling point.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they are speaking on a big picture level regarding systemic racism and rules concerning marijuana. Which raises questions about our drug laws, which Congress has control over... By their own argument, marijuana use shouldn't be illegal.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does Congress realize people are actually in prison doing hard time over this? Write a bill, you dummies.