Track and Field

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Retired two years ago after losing in the 2017 World Championships. Jamaica didn't even make the finals. They are going through a bit of a drought with their sprinters, shockingly.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I just watched him in a relay on tv this week and pull up lame. You telling me I thought it was live and it was 2 years old?

3. Unimane

I don't know how to tell you this, but, yep. I think you were watching the special they had on him, though.

4. Ssmiff

Haha. I only watched for a few minutes and had no idea.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is hilarious.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Thats fast.

8. Unimane

Won't count because he had a horde of rabbits, but still unreal. That's 4:55 per mile average.

9. NorrisAlan

Horde of rabbits?

10. Unimane

Basically, guys who were there to pace him.

11. NorrisAlan

Ahh.

12. Ssmiff

Why wouldnt it count? He still ran it.

13. Unimane

It's a fair question, but it's seen as an artificial construct by pacing the runner, particularly since they weren't part of the race and ran in alternating groups. There was also a pace car with a laser denoting where he needed to be to hit the record. I know, in track, if teammates run alongside runners on the track, the runner can be disqualified. It's still really damn impressive.

Interestingly enough, they had two guys running with the woman who set the women's marathon record today in Chicago. But, they were also guys who started the race and simply ran with her for most of the race. They also, generally, have rabbits for races on professional circuits, which is how the 1500m record was achieved. They had a guy pace the runners for 3 laps and then he dropped out.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about performance enhancing...shoes. And while I can totally understand the engineering of that, it was a new one for me.

Also, marathon world records are a bit silly to me, since no two marathon courses are the exact same. This is like comparing lap times at an oval track and a road course in auto racing, which nobody does.

That’s not to say a sub 2 hours isn’t impressive, but does it translate to every course? Doubt it.

15. Ssmiff

Can you make a marathon course all downhill?

16. Unimane

No, if you want the record to count. The IAAF has certain guidelines an the difference in elevation between the start line and finish line have to be very minimal.

17. Unimane

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I’m still not entirely sure the Tokyo Olympics are even going to happen... that said, yeah. Coleman isn’t too terribly sharp.

In other news, I don’t care what the circumstances are, running while averaging 13 plus miles per hour for even 5 minutes, much less almost two hours is utterly astounding to me.

19. Ssmiff

My son's buddy since they were in kindergarten was just part of a team who broke the 4 x 100, 200 and 400 school records, and himself broke the school record in Individual 400 with a 53.9. 8th freaking grade.

Attached Files:

20. Unimane

DK Metcalf is going to run in a US track and field event this weekend, trying to qualify for the 100m dash at the Olympic Trials. I very seriously doubt he comes close to doing so.