POLITICS What deserves impeachment of an elected official?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 11, 2019.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Depends on how impeachment is polling.

I hear you - and when there is no bipartisan support you can question whether it is a wise thing to do.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The problem is that the few times this has happened in our history, it is always partisan. Even Nixon was right up till the 11th hour when it was finally so obvious that even Nixon knew the gig was up and left instead of waiting around for impeachment and removal.

So, the question still stands: what is so egregious that it no longer is partisan, but in the nation's best interest to remove its President? And remember, a Congressman or Senator can be arrested and tried and convicted while in office. By practice, the President cannot, so impeachment is the only way to handle him.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yes, we've done it this way, so we must always do it way.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Norris,

In the words of Justice Stewart when describing obscenity, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, ..."

It should be something that has some semblance of bipartisan support.

It would be helpful if the accusing party has not perviously spent every moment since the Presidents election searching for a reason to impeach. That really hurts credibility and produces a chicken little effect.

It should generally be something that the American people understand and support (i.e., with Nixon you could feel the shift in the general public understanding of the issue and support of impeachment).

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

And that is not what I am saying at all.

I loathe the idea of impeachment. Yet it is a most necessary mechanism to remove a corrupt politician from office, ESPECIALLY the President who is immune to prosecution while in office and controls the Justice Department.

All I have said is the truth: so far it has always been partisan. And I am not sure it will ever not be partisan unless something so gross happens, that everyone is up in arms about it. And I am simply wondering what the floor is for this.

The most silly and extreme case I can think of is say, having the FBI come in and kill all of the media members during a press conference. So, what below this stupid case would be a cause for impeachment?

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Except it was.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It would be helpful if the executive did not spend much of his term giving out clear opportunities for impeachment, daring the opposition to do it. I still am astounded more don't realize how utterly reckless and lawless this administration has been for the entirety of its term. It seems as if the relentlessness of his recklessness has inured people to this reality of this administration. I mean, this stuff is so exceptionally egregious, but the goal posts keep getting pushed further and further back by those reluctant to anything as impeachment level offenses. It's not a chicken little effect if it actually is happening. He should have been impeached, for sure, after the Mueller Report, but the Barr summary undercut the narrative and most didn't seem to bother with actually reading the report, which was damning (And why it will, almost surely, come back into the conversation).

Plus, if we are going to wait for the Republicans to create some semblance of bipartisan support, then we shouldn't even bother. They'd never support impeachment, whatever he does and the proof is the type of mealy mouthed nonsense support logic he gets. Otherwise, most polls show a majority level of support for the impeachment proceedings.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The biggest problem with "I know it when I see it," is that is a bias.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Democrats have introduced Articles of Impeachment against five (5) of the six (6) Republican Presidents since Eisenhower.

10. cpninja

cpninja Member

Who is the spineless RINO that they didnt go after

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ford, IIRC.

12. NorrisAlan

Ford, I believe.

13. Unimane

It's a little misleading. Which ones were real efforts and not just a Congressman or two chasing windmills?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

Nixon and Trump.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Can we just get to the part where Cocaine Mitch keeps Warren, Booker, Sanders and Harris tied up in the Senate's part of this right during Iowa, New Hampshire, and Super Tuesday?

VolDad likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

people went to jail over Iran-contra.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Did I hear this right?!?

Have either of you had direct communications with the President?

Mr Taylor? NO

Mr Kent? NO

zehr27 likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

do you think the burglars had direct communication with nixon?

tvolsfan likes this.
  19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is my understanding that todays witnesses would be the big guns and other to follow will simply be to coo-borate.

You are saying that the big guns are still to come (i.e., the Dean, LaRue, Kalmbach, Butterfield, Petersen equivalents)? Those with direct knowledge, interaction, communication with the President?

20. Unimane

Hmm, perhaps, then, those with direct communication with the president should not ignore subpoenas, if there is nothing to hide.

tvolsfan likes this.