POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think the biggest thing now is that people jump way faster.

Shit could play out before, but with twitter and social media. The news cycles are so fast, everything is the end of the world and just jump to your side.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I mean, yea. You once had to wait until 6pm to scream at a screen.

Now you can do it on the shitter.

That change isn't due to news, though. Or twitter. Or Facebook.

That's just tech.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah but a lot of little shit never even got that air time.

I look at my own kids. They're assholes if my wife and I give them that technology for any prolong length of time. They physically and mentally change into little shits. I think it has the same effects on us even as adults.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I don't think my position is all that different from yours. My position is these outlets cannot be relied upon. Yes, plenty of folks only want to exist in an echo chamber and they can certainly easily find that in media outlets. Where we may differ is I believe some people do want objective truth in news and it is becoming increasingly more challenging to find a trusted outlet. I agree with what you said earlier about local journalism being the best bet for truth so if your contention is my mention of NPR I am happy to withdraw.

I believe the impact is greater because today's outlets have a wider reach to spread misinformation to people who may not yet be ideological lemmings. I'm getting more cynical by the day, but I haven't fully given up on intellectual honesty yet.

5. fl0at_

My kid has never played with a phone, ipad, computer or anything. He's a little shit.

Now that may be just because he's my little shit, but I can promise you, tech free.. kids are assholes, too.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's true but it's different, at least with my kids.

7. fl0at_

My position is that no outlet should be relied on. My position is that people are lazy and stupid and don't want to do the work to find the truth themselves. And my position is that they would rather blame the world for changing around them (despite it not) than blame themselves for being too lazy and stupid to put in the work.

And my last position is that news media capitalizes on this human condition, and always has, and always will. All of them. Always.

8. fl0at_

It's easy to blame technology, and hell, it may be technology driving it. But we don't even let my kid watch TV during the weekdays. He gets it on the weekend.

And we can say Sunday evening, TV has really made you not listen. Or it could be that he is drained by Sunday evening, and TV didn't do it, all the things we have going on during the week, and the weekend, and our dinners and game time and all that just waxed him. And then we didn't let him continue to zombie out in front of the TV.

Was it TV? Maybe. I'm inclined to believe we are all just really tired when we give kids things... and really tired when we try to take it away from them.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agree
    Generally agree, but not universal
    Generally agree, but gcb is not doing this, just so we're clear
    Agree

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If you call the young mans and his attorneys bank account nowhere then I guess you are right; though I doubt that is what he meant.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The kid was talking about hundreds of millions of dollars and ending CNN and the Washington Post, ending them and all kinds of other shit, none of which he actually got. He got some cash and CNN doesn't have to worry about the publicity anymore.

tvolsfan likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Ratings. It's simply about ratings driving news outlets' ability to sell ads and make money. It was that way at the dawn of the 24-hr news cycle, and it's that way now. All news outlets serve themselves such to make more money. All of the rest is just the collection of tools by which they do it. None are exempt.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I suppose but I used to watch CNN almost every evening for at least a bit of time (mostly as background noise) but I would say I’ve turned on CNN less than 5 times in the last year. It’s horrible.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird, no one brings this up with tax cuts.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

When do I get my lottery scholarship? Does the state of Tennessee need to give me reimbursement?

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

19. cpninja

cpninja Member

Boomers never angrier than when a government program doesn't personally enrich them

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

She's exactly right. "You should have to do something because I had to do it" is among the stupidest concepts ever.

tvolsfan and The Dooz like this.