COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. cpninja

cpninja Member

Whats the exchange rate on human life to USD these days?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It'll be triple that in a few weeks to a month. The weight of industry is about to inundate us with tests, which is the only way this ends before a vaccine.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

do you really believe we can end this with a "short period" of quarantines? We have to do whatever we can short term, but we cannot shut down the economy for 5 months. of course it will kill more and also send millions into bankruptcy never to recover. that's what depressions do.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This will only be solved with testing + therapeutics + vaccine. Everything we’re now doing is just buying time until those are ready.

zehr27 likes this.
  5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I don't think you can fully go back to normal immediately after the lockdown. Large crowds still probably aren't a great idea.

But if you have widespread testing, you can catch cases earlier, trace any prior contacts, test them, and contain them more effectively.

It's not a perfect system, but it allows you to lockdown clusters as opposed to locking down entire cities/counties/states.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Allegedly (I have yet to see it reported), a cashier at a Weigel's in Lenoir City had it while working..................................

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand as I was typing I just not email notification that a co-worker is going to be tested.

justingroves likes this.
  7. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

One way.

justingroves likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

I think a 2 week lockdown won't fix it, but will help us get it under control to manage better.

NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  9. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Should be the same as any other infectious disease. Slow the rate of spread to build up resources, gain more data about the disease, and then determine whether life should go on.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

45 minute result at home test will soon be available.

14 day quarantine from testing positive once test is available to everyone.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We’ll have a lot more of our own data and will know a lot more about possible treatments.

I think trump has made the right moves at the federal level during this

He’s been very supportive of the states while using the power of the federal government to aid them without taking over.

A full national lockdown doesn’t make sense right now with a lot of the western states having so few cases.

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

China shut things completely down for longer than we have. South Korea did, too. Are they in the midst of another Great Depression? And, why is it 5 months? Where did this number come from?

I get the national religion here is money, but it's complete an utter bullshit an economic downturn would cause more deaths than simply letting this thing run its course. Nevermind the enormous medical and economic costs associated with allowing a pandemic to run amok, economic downturns end.

No, I think having a series of half-assed measures to try and stop this followed by a quick "well, we tried" return back to "normal" is asinine. I'm glad we aren't fighting WWII these days, people would be demanding end dates, refusing to ration and asking why we haven't won after two weeks. This is especially with Trump having been proven to be feckless, indecisive, rudderless, without any sense of direction and concerned about his image above all throughout this ordeal.

13. Unimane

Do they have few cases or just not many tested, though? I would also think a lockdown would, if they have few cases, keep it this way.

I also really have no conception of how Trump is perceived to have made the "right moves" on most any level.

reverendgeneral and JudgmentVol like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the whole situation is more mature than is known. we are really arguing about game plan in the third quarter. there are no right answers

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I see cuomo believes 100s of 1000s in NY have already had it and dont know they did.

16. CardinalVol

More eye rolls than actual concern when I asked what was going on, so there's that.

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Finally made it to dentist appointment day. Asked to fill out a COVID questionnaire which I did and indicated an immediate family member had traveled domestically in the last 30 days.

Took me back to an exam room, put the bib on then asked for specific dates/cities/counties of travel (New Brunswick, NJ (Mar 2-6) & Dresher, PA (Mar 8-12)). Heard a light groan when I gave them the details. Dentist never saw me, only communicated through hygienist. Said they couldn't do a treatment (while in the middle of a treatment in another room) and prescribed me an antibiotic. Couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

Le sigh. Defeated.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

okay maybe we are still in the second quarter.

19. Unimane

New York is in a major disaster and they haven't even hit the worst of it. I don't think it's coincidental there were tons of stories of people heading to the Hamptons and similar places in the last few weeks to hoard supplies and have a little vacation as they were starting to shut things down. I feel for those medical workers in that city.

20. CardinalVol

Early 2nd