COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If that was the motive and means, why shut down the whole country?

And as far as I am aware, we don't have that kind of tech yet, to make super tailored viruses. And nature is very good at it, so I go with Occam's razor on this one.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm still waiting for half of India to die. They are faring far better so far than I would have thought.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Until people start starving. It is a catch-22 with the poorer places of the Earth.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Given likely mortality rates of 0.66%, I figure they’ll fare better than half. Haha.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Department of corrections has reported that 98% of inmates that have been confirmed positive are asystematic

That’s pretty wild

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

If you can survive prison food and being bargained away for cigarettes than I guess Covid is the least of your worries.

justingroves likes this.
  7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Which country do we invade first to take their vacancies?

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

A lot of facilities are making them at a loss right now to make sure we have enough at the beginning when/if it is approved.

9. TennTradition

For the "all deaths in NY are being labeled as CV crowd," here's a little data from the CDC. Note that I am using provisional death data, which is derived from obtained death certificates. It takes 10 days to get, but can take up to 8 weeks. So, the 2020 deaths are not complete, but I don't think they should rise more than about 10% or so. Also, note that the 2020 data is actually from only 4 weeks (weeks ending 4/4-4/25), so full April numbers would be about 7% higher (30 days vs. 28).

EDIT - That’s ‘14-‘18 average - not total.

New York April Deaths Comparison.PNG

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Unimane likes this.
  10. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Wonder if the eventual vaccine (if any) will be something everyone is going to be pressured to receive or just the at-risk? Good luck trying to force me as a healthy under 40 year old to receive a new/rushed vaccine for a new disease given the current statistics in my age group.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

12. TennTradition

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just keep in mind: any research done on SARS, coronaviruses, etc. is going to involve pathogens that can jump to humans because THAT IS THE POINT OF THE RESEARCH. Not researching it wouldn't mean they don't exist. Or that they couldn't spread to humans. The whole point of doing it was because they knew something like this, or SARS, or MERS can happen. Does happen.

It feels like that article walks right up to accusing the virus to be genetically engineered, and then walks it back with "we aren't saying x claim is credible." It doesn't need to be engineered. There is no reason at this time to think it is. It being engineered or not doesn't change China's failings as a government in this. If anything, we should all be mad that this was highly predicted and the CCP was more focused on suppressing free speech than pushing bats out of people's diets.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. TennTradition

Yeah - the discussion on this topic can be fair but can also extend into unfair territory. Researching these viruses isn't a problem. But if you are creating human transmissable forms and not being careful with them - then of course, it is inappropriate research.

Tenacious D and justingroves like this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like a lot of the states opening up don't meet the White House guidance on when to open up... but the White House is supporting them opening up?

This thing didn't go away. Look at the numbers. The messaging needs to be to find a new way for these businesses to function and people to behave. Not "reopen," back to normal.

On the other side, some folks are warning that we will have to shut down again this summer with all the above happening. Uh, it won't happen. We'll just have a health care failure.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Went to home Depot yesterday and grocery store a bit ago. My guess is 10% or less of the people there were doing things differently than before. Everyone seems to just have picked up where we left off.

I, again, stupidly thought that people would be smart enough to use some precautions with this. Silly me.

19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Currently dealing with in-laws that think we're overreacting because we aren't letting the toddler spend the night at their place (wife is in third trimester with number 2). Getting sarcastic "well can I do this?!?" questions constantly.

This feels a lot like the moment before cases really started showing up in TN. You hope the second wave is more of a trickle, but it feels like it's gonna get real soon. Hopefully the hospitalization rate remains low.

zehr27 likes this.
  20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'd say about 90-95% of folks in Kroger this AM had masks. Honestly one of the most encouraging things I've seen.

NorrisAlan likes this.