COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Legit or nah?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The data is probably legit. The real question is what is the “success rate” of similar patients that aren’t given those drugs.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

92% successful isn’t extraordinarily positive (good)?

4. Tenacious D

5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

We don't know without a control group.

The study also showed close to a 3% death rate. If we were dumb, we would say HCQ causes a death rate 5x-6x higher than what we've seen in other studies. But we aren't dumb!

Point being, we have little context for the data.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This x1000. Without proper control groups and placebo groups, there is no way to know if there is causation and not just correlation. I hope it works, but scientifically, it is just anecdotal at this time. As long as it doesn't cause more harm, there is no harm in giving it. But it might be just as effective as giving them all Cokes to drink.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just cannot believe him. I'm all for economically nuking China right now, but for the right reasons. He has a history of floating crap out there like this "I have guys that tell me...", "I hear these things.." etc.

Very Butchesque. BUT! If it makes him want to put China's nuts in a vice, go for it. I just think it is his warped view of the world and only that. All intelligence and science (that we are aware of) shows it is a natural born killer. I think he WANTS it to be true, therefore it is true.

InVolNerable likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If only 5 to 10 % of infected require hospitalization, doing nothing also is approximately just as successful-- DEPENDING on how they are defining "success." In a vacuum, "92% successful" could mean anything.

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Obviously I don't know what he was shown, but I do know what he said about it couldn't have been bats because they are 40 miles away is patently bullshit, which makes me have a hard time accepting anything he says on this. Like saying getting bird flu requires living in the proximity of chickens, or only chimpanzee hunters can get AIDS.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. Tenacious D

I’m unburdened of any substantive concern as to whether China Flu originated in the Wuhan lab or the wet market - as either represents willful negligence on China’s behalf, and they are still ultimately responsible for the fallout from it.

And this assumes that it was accidentally unleashed. If done purposefully, I’ll be hard-pressed to argue that it wasn’t an act of war.

The important part of the linked piece is that Trump clearly blames China for the appropriately named China Flu, and is seeking to make them pay for it. Will be interested to see how his plan plays out.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got to love the Thursday at 4pm notice drop by the IRS saying that any expenses paid by the forgivable PPP loan proceeds will be nondeductible.

14. Tenacious D

So, the government bailout money isn’t deductible, meaning, it’s taxable....and you’ve got to pay that taxed portion back to the government....who gave you the bailout?

IP likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

You nailed it.

Grassley is pissed, and suspect it will be changed.

IP and Tenacious D like this.
  16. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

The loan forgiveness proceeds are tax free, though, so you're effectively netting right?

17. CardinalVol

It's netting, but there isn't a person that will argue that is a complete 180 with that they were trying to accomplish with the act.

IP likes this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I quickly scrolled past it.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It could be - but if 87% of patients at a similar state also recover - is it extraordinarily positive / good? I'm just saying you need to know what the baseline is - what types of people it is being given to (how sick, other drugs, etc.) in order to make any kind of determination on whether this specifically is good news (of course anyone recovering is good news - just maybe not good news about this drug combo).

Tenacious D and A-Smith like this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

IP likes this.