The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's my understanding being on a construction sight is a crime. I guess I could Google it. Definitely not punishable by death.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would immediately suspect anyone wandering around a construction site at night is up to no good, but evidently there is no proof that anything illegal happened, so I'm a little surprised these guys were so gung-ho about stopping... whatever.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I get a lot of dumpster divers and people looking for scrap metal.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Took it upon themselves to identify this guy as a perpetrator of a crime and to attempt to confront or arrest him over it. I don't think they had any justification for either. If they suspected he was the guy, the police should have been called and they could have made that decision.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

What point in home building process do they start securing the home? Or at what point can random neighbors no longer go inside the house?

It feels like if I left equipment or supplies out then it’s also kind of my fault when they show up missing prior to that point.

That’s not really related to subject matter, I’m just curious.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You want to grab some beers with me this weekend and go kill them?

JT5 and dknash like this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Windows and doors go in, it can be locked up. Footers, block work then framing, they put the windows in.

You don't rough in any trade until it's dry and able to be locked up

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nah, keeps my dumpster bill down

SetVol13 likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

By whose own admission? Where? When?

11. Tenacious D

Did their actions constitute a citizens arrest?

If a stranger is walking down the sidewalk and I ask them to stop so that I can question them about where they are going and/or have been...is that a citizen’s arrest?

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I agree with all of this. None of your business, call the police, let them handle it.

I know there’s a gray area for me, as it relates to being a good neighbor and stepping up if you see something going on...but this scenario isn’t it.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

McMichael stated they saw the unidentified male and shouted “stop stop, we want to talk to you.” McMichael stated they pulled up beside the male and shouted stop again at which time Travis exited the truck with the shotgun. McMichael stated the unidentified male began to violently attack Travis and the two men then started fighting over the shotgun at which point Travis fired a shot and then a second later there was a second shot. McMichael stated the male fell face down on the pavement with his hand under his body. McMichael stated he rolled the man over to see if the male had a weapon.

Sounds like chasing him down to me.

14. Tenacious D

Can we agree that a retired cop / DA investigator would know - or should know - this law? What about the difference between asking a question vs detention vs arrest?

15. CardinalVol

Are you driving up to meet me in a truck yelling stop stop (per their own statement, which I guess is possibly a lie since the rest of their statement was) and I can tell you are carrying?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Didn't they claim that's what they were trying to do?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would think he'd know better than to do any of the stuff he did. If there weren't video evidence I'd have a hard time buying any of the story.

CardinalVol likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

He should know, my guess is he did not know.

Depends on intent. Given the entire background of the situation, logic would dictate they didn't want to ask a simple question.

And very least this is manslaughter.

19. Tenacious D

The fact that we have a dead human is sufficient reason for me to believe this to be a tragedy. I don’t care if he was in the middle of a non-violent criminal act, or not.

I don’t think I know what lead to his being shot and killed, and don’t want to assume.

I don’t think that a burglar deserves the death penalty.

I don’t think asking someone to stop and answer a question, even while lawfully possessing a firearm, deserves the death penalty, either.

I don’t think that someone deserves to have their life ruined and/or freedom taken away by making reasonable and necessary efforts to defend themselves.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

You’re more than welcome to ask me a question, but I’m under no obligation to stop and answer it.

When you get into your vehicle chasing me down, yelling at me, you’re not reasonably approaching me, you’re harassing me. And when you continue to do it, I’m probably feeling a little threatened.

This does not at all seem like an innocent “excuse me, sir, I’m sorry to bother you, but was curious if you could answer something for me.” Maybe it was.

SetVol13 likes this.