The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What then, specifically, do you advocate for as it relates to 2nd amendment issues?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Guns for everyone but only I get bullets.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Fr though. If you were given the power does the 2nd Amendment even exist still? Not trying to attack your opinions or start an argument, just want to sift past the vagueness and am curious about better understanding your POV here as someone who sees the world much differently than I do typically.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would absolutely exist. it is funny because I have never been for taking things away from people, but there is this persistent assumption that anyone not right wing desires that. Plenty of democrats have guns.

1. If you already legally own it, you keep owning it
    2. No additional mandatory wait times, but someone who owned or produced (e.g. "ghost gun") a firearm in the last 3 months will be partially culpable for crimes committed by it unless promptly reported stolen (before or relatively simultaneous with the crime).
    3. Any American adult can receive a one-time voucher towards a gun cabinet or safe. No excuses for unlocked arms, as part of a "well regulated militia." See above.
    4. Lift bans on studying gun crime and firearm death.
    5. Fund studies and monitor the effects of the above and other potential solutions.
    6. Encourage state to state government cooperation on voluntary civilian training and certifications similar or the same as LEOSA, with those privileges. In other words, lean into the "militia" aspect of the 2nd amendment. This will help change the culture to one more focused on community rather than loners, as well as offer an alternative to the more extremist groups. Could be a real boon for local law enforcement, emergency preparedness, etc. This may help curb the lone gunmen bullshit too if they are getting some kind of constructive outlet.
    7. Everybody chill the [uck fay] out.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Appreciate the thoughts. I find much agreement with your 7 points here outside the "no additional mandatory wait times" (kinda surprised you don't favor longer wait times tbh) .

Extremes of both ends of the political spectrum allow for sweeping stereotypes and generalizations to exist as all encompassing representative views held by each "side" relating to the 2nd amendment issue. To be clear, I am and always have been very well aware of the nuance that not everyone who is left of center wants to abolish the 2nd amendment and confiscate everyone's gun. Although I do respect lefties much more who truly believe extreme anti-2A positions that are at least honest and up front about their desired gun agenda. If anyone believes the 2nd amendment needs to go, just say so. Politicians with hidden agendas that beat around the bush on 2nd Amendment issues scare TF out of me much more than those exhibiting transparency with their overall 2nd Amendment stances that I would disagree with personally.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm open to negotiating for longer wait times or what have you, and am not necessarily opposed to restrictions so long as there is a pathway to ownership. I feel flexible, and see the 2nd amendment as more about a healthy armed citizenry, which precludes mass shootings and rampant gun crime as much as it does banning firearms.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Feels like a lot of these shooter cases we see involve guys blinded by in-the-moment heat of passion delusions. People who might have had a really bad week mentally and/or are souped up on some kind of pharmaceutical clouding their thinking can spell disaster if immediately given a firearm. Making everyone wait like two weeks before you can actually take a gun home could give those teetering on the edge of darkness enough time to reconsider their depraved ideas. That step wouldn't prevent every nut hellbent on carnage, but perhaps it stops some of them before they do something drastic and permanent.

Overall though you have an interesting and decent way of looking at the 2A imo. Personally I don't like ideas like blanket "assault weapons" bans because philosophically I think law abiding American citizens always (within reason) being allowed and trusted to posses guns similar to standard issued military rifles like the M16 is a good thing that helps assure a "protection against govt tyranny" here domestically. However separating the Republican Party with my own ideas on how to improve gun safety (because I am aware of and fully acknowledge the GOP's general philosophy of feet dragging on ever doing ANYTHING whatsoever with 2A stuff) I don't think we are as far off ultimately on 2a issues as one might assume who knows how different our personal politics are typically. I think you are spot on with how essentially a lack of friendship and sense of community is a crucial factor for creating these lone wolf types. People who are plugged into something larger than themselves usually don't resort to randomly murdering others.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The mass shootings are troubling and horrible, but outside side of hotbeds of drug turf battles in inner cities we don’t have rampant gun crime/violence.