The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

BoTh SiDes

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

But there are cops at these protests. Are we not talking about protests?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, one. Injustice.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You’re saying that this may be the police burning the homeless man’s things?

If so, then you’re either dangerously disingenuous or goofily stupid.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You're about what you claim to be justice. Nothing more. Much less.

I support whatever is necessary to effect change, and only regret the necessity of force.

Why do you believe that someone has to have committed a wrong? This is non-discriminatory. Only targeting "wrongs" would be discriminatory.

Facism is authoritarianism. The people do not have authority. Here is some education for you: if they did, they'd just declare this lawful. Violent acts, even against civilians (when done by civilians) is not facism.

Do you need more clarity?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is neat how these things tend to play out. At first everyone is careful not to show out. There's this video of a man being murdered, and "everyone" is outraged. A week later, you have white nationalist hash tags trending at 4 in the morning and people outraged over any crime other than the police brutality that triggered the events.

7. fl0at_

Yes. And if you do the same, and those that matter listen, this doesn't have to keep happening.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, not in this case. But generally, this is exactly what is done. I even posted a link. I see it in DC all the time. If you thought I was accusing the police of burning that particular mattress, I am sorry to hear that.

9. Tenacious D

1. I don’t know anything about the prevalence or abuse of these.

2. Many law enforcement agencies now do this in all Officer involved shootings - fatal or not. No problem with all doing it. Your main opponent to this will be Police unions.

3. Police are authorized to go one level above the exercise of force because they are not fighting to force a stalemate, but specifically to allow them the upper hand, as it’s their duty to maintain law and order. SCOTUS has repeatedly rules on this, IIRC.

10. fl0at_

Millions of people will not live in a state of constant fear in order to allow for a protected class.

Eventually, the protected class will no longer be protected. You can hasten that along, or just prepare for this to happen again. And again. And again.

11. Tenacious D

If rumors are to be believed, the next cycle of riots will have to involve all new people, as well as the next several thereafter, because this group will still be in prison.

12. fl0at_

1. Odd, considering that Louisville just had one a few months ago resulting in the shooting death of a nurse. It forced the body cam issue, which just came up again recently.

2. It has to go beyond shootings, and include recently deceased in custody. It has to be transparent. If the unions don't like it, then they can strike. I'm fine with wiping the entire force out and starting new.

3. I didn't say it wasn't lawful. I said it needs to stop.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Isn't a large part of the problem the relationship between the DA and Cops. DA's are hesitant to bring charges against Cops because they are so reliant on Cops in the performance of their daily duties. Heaven forbid they piss off the Police Union or Blue Wall.

And why the hell when charges are filed do juries find Cops innocent despite the overwhelming evidence; and how do we solve that problem?

14. Tenacious D

IP, I showed those videos because they happened. I didn’t assume, much less attempt to argue, that these represented the totality of protest/ors. I’ve actually linked a few videos showing actual protestors confronting thesE anarchists.

I posted the videos because they are reality - perhaps a small or fringe reality - but reality nonetheless. They’ll speak to any who see them on their own accord, or not.

15. fl0at_

Indeed? We have enough prisons for that?

Get real.

16. Tenacious D

And injustice is always wrong, no matter who or why it’s committed - we are in complete agreement there, right?

17. fl0at_

You solve this problem by preventing DAs and jurors from being put in these situations, by making sure cops can't cause these situations.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Where would one find this info outside of this thread?

19. Tenacious D

You support these riots and acts of violence, so long as it effectuates the change that you want and believe necessary?

Is that correct?

20. fl0at_

A-Smith likes this.