The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. I am not excusing a single broken window, let alone murders. I don't excuse one shove from an officer to a peaceful citizen either.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

IP, if you know that this wasn’t the police who did this, why make mention that they ever do this at all, unless you simply obfuscate the obviously despicable stupidity of these rioters doing so in this case?

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yes. Emphatically. Whole heartedly. Completely. Entirely. The good and the bad. The just and the injust. The violent and the non-violent.

Is any of this unclear, or do you need to ask again?

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

5. Tenacious D

Here, we agree: Millions of people will not live in a state of constant fear of this happening.

They absolutely won’t.

You think they’ll relent to the threat.
    I say they’ll eliminate the threat.

We‘ll watch it all tragically unfold.

6. Tenacious D

Then you’re a piece of shit human being, and a threat to the Constitution and laws of the United States.

And I hope that if you’re stupid enough to act on these beliefs, that someone shows you the mercy that you’re willing to deny others.

Legit, personally, get [uck fay]ed.

7. fl0at_

It was written just two days ago, and you now know about it.

[uck fay] all, what would it take to be recognized as "more circulated?" For you to see it when the ink was still wet?

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's the way it goes. You're always going to have folks looking for something to grasp onto to shift the narrative. The looting and violence is horrible, unacceptable and should be managed and condemned. However, these folks are a fraction of those peacefully protesting for long ignored and desperately needed change. It's entirely possible to recognize, address and condemn the first group while fully supporting/joining the latter. This is why many of the peaceful protesters are 'policing' the bad actors themselves - they understand all too well it diffuses the message and gives opportunity for those wishing to maintain the status quo. Same story, different day.

The thing is if we actually start to earnestly address the massive injustice issue we also address the ugliness. I'm not losing focus on the core issue.

9. fl0at_

Sorry, we differ. Anyone who hides behind "law" when it comes to how to treat humans is a piece of shut human. That's you.

I'm fine with being labeled a piece of shit American, if putting humanity above nationalism is the prerequisite.

10. Tenacious D

Both. Are. Wrong.

Both. Can. Be. Wrong.

Both. Should. Be. Wrong.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because if it upsets you that this happens, you should know that this is what happens regularly and every time to these people. If you posted a picture of looters burning down a building, and it was standard procedure to periodically burn down a building, I would mention it in the same way. Homeless people have a hell of a time maintaining and building up possessions because they have no legally protected space. There is or was an interesting piece in the East Tennessee Historical Society and Museum in downtown Knoxville about a homeless man who lived in Knox County, and the lengths he went to keep his camp secret.

I was engaging in a conversation about the vulnerability of the homeless-- about how this injustice, is not an isolated incident. I bet you a Snickers this isn't even the 10th time this man has had his possessions wiped out against his will. Maybe it is the medium of a message board or maybe I am just not a good conversationalist. I wasn't excusing shit, I was expounding on it as a category of [uck fay]ed uppedness all its own.

12. Tenacious D

I wish you wisdom, Float.

13. Tenacious D

You need me to specifically say that I’m always against people stealing and burning the meager possessions of a homeless person?

Not even that can be safely assumed?

14. fl0at_

Yea. They'll eliminate the threat. Today.

And it'll be back. And eventually, it will become too costly to continue to eliminate the threat, and the protections afforded law enforcement will go away.

Better to just do it now.

15. fl0at_

And I wish you humanity. But I know that instead, you just have a flag.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, no, I assume it.

This was the exhibit, looks like it is over now:

http://www.easttnhistory.org/LovingEarlTerrell

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’ve been all over the internet and seen it here only. So pardon me for thinking the dozen or so people that will click your link might not be the target viewership numbers.

18. Tenacious D

I don’t live in a world where I must choose between the two, or have such little hope as to believe that they are mutually exclusive.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If, lord help you, a conversation about this topic comes up in-person with someone, you could mention the existence of it. I knew of similar ones but not this one, but I frequently hear "there are no demands, what do they want?" I think there are a lot of concrete solutions being offered, and now we all just need to start sharing them for broader consideration.

20. Tenacious D

I think most people - certainly including us - don’t largely disagree on what is right or wrong, but in how to best go about addressing it.