COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What rate suggests legislation? How many kids need to die or be hospitalized, and fear for their lives, before we say.... eh, maybe adults shouldn't be shitheads?

Children are 13% of cases. They are 2% of hospitalizations. There are no protections for them. None.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd say more than zero which is what we are taking about the number of lives you will be saving. we are talking about low case numbers AND the risk of a small case number infecting and killing a child.

3. fl0at_

This is not the flu. This is COVID. COVID has a low infection rate for kids. So vaccinated kids would be even lower, still, making it even more pointless to just forget about them, as every death and hospitalization will be that much more preventable.

You don't say, well, you're likely to die in a car accident, so here's a Corvette. You say, well, you're likely to die in a car accident, so here is a big ass truck from 1980 that is 100% steel.

4. fl0at_

You think that a pediatric vaccine will save exactly zero lives?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so why shouldn't we keep it in place forever to prevent pneumonia? that would save a crapload more lives than doing this for covid sake

6. fl0at_

I think if they grow up and hit teenage years, and it comes to pass that they think their parents just threw them to the wolves, after their parents had sat their asses inside... that we'll have a few more suicides than we have today.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

once adults have heard immunity? yeah i do. kids with severe health issues are still going to quarantine.

8. fl0at_

I am fine with it. I've had a great year, with no infections of any kind. I haven't had any respiratory illness since Jan 2020. No fever. No cough, except self induced. Nothing.

Please, continue to wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from me.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

threw them to the wolves? is this a serious comment?

10. fl0at_

We cannot hit heard immunity in this country without vaccinating kids.

If herd immunity requires 70% of the population to be vaccinated, we cannot hit it without kids.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cool you do you. that's YOUR choice.

12. fl0at_

What would you call putting them out there, with no vaccine, while there are active cases?

13. fl0at_

You asked. Why did you ask if you didn't want an answer?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

disagree. 15 or under is what 20% of the population? 5 or under basically can't get it and are highly unlikely to infect anyone. 5-10 can get it, but it's still way lower than the general population. you are talking basically about that 11-15 year old population which is still way under the adult rate. you are really talking about a group in total out of that 20% that has what at least 40% natural immunity from coronavirus?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the number of active cases and death rate isn't relevant? by that theory we have been throwing the kids to the wolves in all of human history.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

just because you are ok with something doesn't mean that you speak for the majority.

17. fl0at_

For herd immunity, we need 70% of the population. If you want to take 40% of the 20% as having natural, that's fine. Do the math, and come up with the percentage of everyone else that needs to be vaccinated. And then ask yourself it that is a target you think adults will hit to get to 70%. I've done the math, I don't see it. It's a lot easier to get it with kids.

18. fl0at_

Yes, we often throw kids to the wolves. That's why we now have all these fancy safety things we didn't have when you and I were kids.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Life. And I repeat, they are still less at risk from the flu, even with a vaccine. So where have you been as far as protecting the children all of these years prior, with a virus more likely to kill them or put them in the hospital even as kids are vaccinated. If you want your kids to be bubble boy, it's your choice. I wouldn't count on them being happy with that choice you made for them, when they look back in a few years, if their immune system can even function properly

20. fl0at_

You asked me, but didn't want me to give my answer? I'm confused. Why did you ask me? Did you expect me to say something else?

I'm ok with the protections in place for as long as we can keep them going. I doubt we go much past this summer, but I'm ok with going longer. We would save lives, and increase productivity, in the long run, which is absolutely worth it. And the risks aren't actually that high, once everything is back to normal.